Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
Registered Users
Oh yum we love jasmine rice too! Sometimes it's hard to pick that or Japanese. Almost always use jasmine for Indian food, Japanese for stir fry. Had dinner 2 hours ago & I'm getting hungry!

Sent using DS Forum, please forgive typos

DSD - 12/98; DS - 8/10; DD 1/15

I Swagbucks
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: making rice like the resturants

Rice cooker with Calrose rice. That's all you need to know.

As for water measurement here's a nifty Asian trick (we NEVER measure our rice or water), put in as much Calrose as you want. Add water, put the tip of you finger at the level of the top of the rice. You have the perfect amount of water when it reaches the level of the first bend of you finger after your finger tip. It doesn't matter how big or small your finger is. The dh would never do it because he thought his hands were way to big compared to little Asian woman hands. Turns out he's wrong, it totally works for white boy hands too.
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Buy a good rice cooker and you'll never go back. It's a bit of an expense, but in all the time I've been alive, I've never seen one of our rice cookers die on us (we are talking over 10 years of daily or near-daily use). I use a Zojirushi, but I think Tiger and Panasonic are both good, too. Best ones are made in Japan. What makes it great is you can start the rice and walk away. You can start your dinner, and if you plan it correctly, the rice will be done just before dinner is, and it'll go to keep to warm mode. No burnt rice, no boiling over, no having to watch it.

For sticky rice, go medium grain, like Nishiki. It's also known as sushi rice. Jasmine is usually long grain rice, so less sticky. Glutinous rice is *very* sticky. We usually reserve that stuff for desserts, things that are steamed, or for porridge or gruel dishes. I'll use Basmati for Indian food or when we want a change. It's different from the standard Asian rice.

Best place to get rice is usually an Asian market. You'll have more choices and sizes. Although, if you have a Costco membership and they're selling Nishiki or another sushi rice, go for that.

It might take a few tries to get the rice/water ratio just right for how sticky you want your rice, so if your intial attempts don't turn out perfectly, don't despair. It takes a bit of practice.

A tip: use cold rice to make fried rice (even better if it's yesterday's rice). If you have ever made fried rice and it's turned out gluey, it's probably because you used freshly made rice. Fresh rice absorbs liquid (like soy sauce) too easily and gets mushy when you cook it.
lilymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thanks I talked with dh and told him that is what I want for my birthday. So he told me to stat looking at different brands.So excited, only my day isn't until next month bummer.
Cynthia mother to Isac(8/26/09) and Sean (2/22/04) and to my blessed angel who graced us for 5 days Matthew ( 8/8/01)
chegarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

If you want a really great rice cooker, zojirushi neuro fuzzy is the way to go - you can cook a big batch and it will keep the rice soft and warm for 24+ hours, you can make whole meals in the cooker, it has a timer and settings for all types of rice. Really worth the money. Ours is 6 years old and still works like new.
Wife to my best friend , SAHM to DD1 (4/15/10) and DD2 (5/16/13)
Leiiki is offline   Reply With Quote