Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921

I am NOT in a hurry to get him off formula, just concerned I am the reason he is so big. He isn't fat by any means, just chunky.
Don't stress the size - my daughter was the same size. Babies that young cannot overeat.

So... When he wakes up at night - do you go to him immediately? Or is he cosleeping? Have you tried letting him fuss a couple minutes? I'm not telling you to make him CIO when he's hungry - just getting more info.

My daughter cut out her night feeding at about 3months. Then she entered a very long sleep regression and I remember wondering whether she was hungry or just awake. Incidentally, I never reintroduced the night feeding and eventually she started sleeping through the night again.

But I always worried that I was wrong and that she was hungry in the middle of the night again. I imagine she'd have happily eaten if I had offered, but I don't know. I think she was just awake - no fussing. Just up. Or maybe she'd fuss for her paci since her arms were still swaddled at that age. But it was 5-6x a night......

I wish babies came with magic 8 balls

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: 8 month old drinks a lot of formula

I would say if you're pediatrician isn't concerned with size/weight, he's probably ok. If he looks like a normal, proportional, gerber type baby, then I wouldn't worry either. You can try and skew it towards daytime if the night waking is bothering you. But most people I know with big boys had babies that ate a lot, and continued to eat at night for longer. Sounds to me like he's a growing boy! As long as you're not using food as a distraction for pain/boredom, nothing sounds wrong to me. My older daughter would also go through growth spurts where she would eat eat eat eat for like 3 days til I thought she would burst. She's still a healthy weight/size but man can that girl eat. I always found it helpful, when I was concerned about intake, to spend a week logging every feeding, amount, and time. That way I could look at it and say "Ok, they recommend this amount of formula and solid food a day, and the baby's eating this much..." I usually found it was closer to what was recommended than I thought.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Don't stress the size - my daughter was the same size. Babies that young cannot overeat.

So... When he wakes up at night - do you go to him immediately? Or is he cosleeping? Have you tried letting him fuss a couple minutes? I'm not telling you to make him CIO when he's hungry - just getting more info.

My daughter cut out her night feeding at about 3months. Then she entered a very long sleep regression and I remember wondering whether she was hungry or just awake. Incidentally, I never reintroduced the night feeding and eventually she started sleeping through the night again.

But I always worried that I was wrong and that she was hungry in the middle of the night again. I imagine she'd have happily eaten if I had offered, but I don't know. I think she was just awake - no fussing. Just up. Or maybe she'd fuss for her paci since her arms were still swaddled at that age. But it was 5-6x a night......

I wish babies came with magic 8 balls
I honestly don't know..He screams bloodly murder...about every 4 hours at night..He has woken up crying and then just fell back asleep, but "this" behavior he gets up, stands up in his crib and screams..I figured he is hungry?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hmm... Seems to be the most likely reason...

And just trying to soothe him back to sleep doesn't work?

If he's hungry, then feed him for sure. But he may just be waking up and be unable to self-soothe.

An idea anyways.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD2 was a big girl. Although she didnt like food until 9mos she loved her formula lol She was still waking 2x a night at 8mos. She'd wake, have her bottle, then fall back asleep. At 10mos she was down to waking only once. That's when I started thinking she may have formed a routine so I tried cutting her bottle down(fully prepared to give her the whole amount if she cryed). Once I got down to only 2oz I felt confident it was more habit then actual hunger. The next night I offered 1ozformula w/ 1 oz water. She didnt go for it. I resang our song, laid her down, rubbed her back for just a bit and left. She fussed(cry, settle, moan, settle, cry, ect-not scream) for about 10mins then went to sleep. We did this a couple more nights-maybe 3?-and then she stopped waking.

If he's still really crying though he's more then likely just hungry. He'll let you know mama

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my kids were chunk monsters at that age. It's perfectly fine. He's only gained one pound in 2 months and that's not much at all, nothing to worry about.

Maybe he's going through a growth spurt and needs the extra feedings. If he's physically active, crawling and cruising, he probably burns a lot of calories.

I can see where the screaming would get old but babies cry. It's what they do. Wait until you have two of them. It's twice the fun.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

Mine ate about 40oz in a day and was never "fat" just thick at that age.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote