Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Re: Spinoff of goat milk thread

Breast fed babies strive perfectly without solids under 1 year. And as long as my baby is flourishing and fits the weight chart I see no reason for food. That's just my opinion.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Oh and I worked like a crazy to keep up my milk supply so why kill it so early? She will be eating all her life...
Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My pediatric nurse practitioner said to add blackstrap molasses to goats milk because it is lacking in b vitamins. She recommends it instead of formula for bf babies.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKikow View Post
Thanks ladies.
Can someone explain to me what the danger is in raw milk? I saw a few mentions of infectious bacteria. A) is it really true. B) does it make sense to buy raw milk and send a sample to a lab each time?
Historically, yes, babies have died from bacteria in raw milk (cow's, mostly, but goat's would also be potentially contaminated). Here's a link to a 2005 infant death reported in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/16/nyregion/16milk.html

I personally would not be comfortable with the risk of feeding raw animal milk to an infant unless I knew each container did not contain something dangerous to my baby. Adults consuming raw milk is one thing, but I have serious concerns about infants.

Are you sure you can't find another milk donor? I am a donor but I already have more recipients than I can fully supply.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Humans milk, like goats milk, will vary based on diet and the stage they are at in nursing. Goats milk nutritional content also varies by breed.

You can research general composition of breast milk and goats milk to get a general idea of the two though.

As posted in the other thread, I and my children consume raw goats milk and I have used it with infants (making sure to keep up with well baby check-ups,heel sticks etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
Historically, yes, babies have died from bacteria in raw milk (cow's, mostly, but goat's would also be potentially contaminated). Here's a link to a 2005 infant death reported in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/16/nyregion/16milk.html

I personally would not be comfortable with the risk of feeding raw animal milk to an infant unless I knew each container did not contain something dangerous to my baby. Adults consuming raw milk is one thing, but I have serious concerns about infants.

Are you sure you can't find another milk donor? I am a donor but I already have more recipients than I can fully supply.
Looks like the article is talking about raw products that were brought in from Mexico? I understand that there have been issues reported with raw milk but I'm not so sure that article is talking about local raw milk and it seems to actually have been discussing soft cheese for the most part...

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

I think that link is a bit off topic here?..

Thanks happy2beaMommy. So you don't boil the milk before use? Have you ever had that the milk made any of you sick? And what do you mean keep up with well visits and heel stick?
Tia