Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #21
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rant...the constant "skinny" baby comments

DS was a skinny baby, and now DD2 is a chunker I nursed them the same way, so it's just the way they are.

But you could point out that formula fed babies who are chubby actually form different kinds of fat cells than chubby breastfed babies, and are more likely to be overweight when they get older. A chubby breastfed baby can easily be a slim adult (I know, that's me!) A chubby breastfed baby is healthy. A chubby formula fed baby is chubby.

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry your going through that!
My kids were always average, but on the lean side.
Some people just don't agree with your decision, therefore making reasons on why you shouldn't do what your doing!

My BFF nursed ALL her kids and they were HUGE rolly babies! Everyone was certain she was overfeeding them with kids meals or something crazy like that, but nope...ALL mama milk!!!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
bamababies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
((HUGS)) people always have to have something to comment about.

I get the opposite- your babies are so big they are eating too much. I have learned just to let it go-- it is hard though-- especially when you know your LO is happy and healthy.
Same thing happens to me. DD1 was on formula with 1 Tbsp of cereal per oz due to severe reflux...so yeah she was on the rollie pollie side. I remember people commenting on her size. I would just say "well I'm happy to see her on the pudgy side considering she weighed 2pds at birth." After coming off the bottle she slimmed up quite a bit. Now she is just short...so of course I have to deal with people constantly commenting on how little she is. DD2 is a little on the pudgy side as well. She isn't huge by any means (50th percentile), but she has the baby pudge on her arms and legs. People are constantly asking me if she is formula fed. I say "nope she's just healthy."

Skinny or Pudgy...it doesn't matter as long as they are healthy and their Pediatricians aren't concerned.

When DD1 was a baby I learned real quick that you have to take what people say with a grain of salt. Some people just open their mouth and let the ignorance pour out.

My gone but not forgotten ^i^ DS T (9/06)
bamababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry. People should learn when to keep their opinions to their selves. I have the exact opposite problem: a huge (18lb) 3 month EBF baby. Everyone tells me to put im on a diet. Seriously?! Babies just grow differently. As long as they are breastfed, the baby is growing in the right way for him and he will be a much healthier adult for it. You should probably look for a new doctor. It is so dumb for someone who completed at least 8 years of college not to know how much better mother's milk is!
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #25
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PPs...you can't win no matter what! This is another of those annoying areas that everyone and their grandmother feels the need to comment on. My ODS was a humongous baby..he started out 7 lbs 10 oz and was 20+lbs at his 6 month appointment. I could walk into a store and have someone comment on how big he was in one aisle, turn the corner, and have someone else tell me he was TINY and their 2 month old grandchild was twice as big. (Ummm...okay! I think I'd be at the dr if my child was 40 lbs at 2 mos old...) Anyway, same thing with the twins who were skinnnnnnnny (12-13 lbs at 6 mos). I would get comments about them being skinny or tall or huge (???) all the time depending on who decided to impart us with their wisdom that day. I just nod and smile and run away as fast as I can! lol!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #26
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love these comments from people. #1 was a bean rod from about 3m on. Dad is 6'3" 170ish lbs. Must be my deficient milk.

Now number two is ROUND. I had one grocery store crazy tell me to add more water to his bottle. I had no comment at the time because it didn't register what she was talking about. Then when it clicked she wanted me to water down his formula my head exploded. A. he's EBF, and I haven't found the water hole in meh bewbs. B. that is HORRIBLE advice for a FF mom!

people dumb.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #27
lavender dragonfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Go with your gut mama, and do what you feel is best for YOUR baby.

Your lil'boy looks super healthy and happy---and that's what's most important. I know it's hard, and we get the same comments. Asher is 9 months now and weights 16 pounds. The most important thing is that your baby is healthy, happy, and safe. Nature will take it's course,

............and karma will too

Last edited by lavender dragonfly; 09-17-2011 at 04:19 PM.
lavender dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #28
lovelymomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

awww, momma> i get the same thing all the time too. i only know of 6 other people to breastfeed their baby. and oh my! i cloth diaper> "i must be nuts!" is what they all say. dad has a friend who had a baby around the same time i had dd, he is always bragging about how many ounces his ds takes, how at 3 months he was already on cereal, yada yada yada. daddy just laughed and said, "geeze, that boy better be out there cutting grass and changing the oil in the car by the time he is 18 months!"

you just keep doing what makes you and baby feel good and what seems right to you! from another nutty clothdiapering, breastfeeding momma =D
lovelymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #29
greenmommyx2
Registered Users

I'm sorry! That's so frustrating! My LO is 10 months and weighs just over 18lbs. To me, he seems big and healthy but according to the charts at 10 months 18lbs 28in is only 25th percentile!? America is just fat and those charts have been adjusted to fit that, I swear!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #30
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmommyx2 View Post
I'm sorry! That's so frustrating! My LO is 10 months and weighs just over 18lbs. To me, he seems big and healthy but according to the charts at 10 months 18lbs 28in is only 25th percentile!? America is just fat and those charts have been adjusted to fit that, I swear!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Ya know, I've been thinking that too. I took my daughter for her 11 year old checkup at the pedi and she weighed 68lbs. And her pedi is fine with it. She's gaining very very very slowly but she's gaining and she's eating like a horse and active and healthy so there's no problems. But I did ask what she was supposed to weigh and her pedi told me an average 11 year old is a few inches shorter than my daughter and in the high 80's. My daughter is 68lbs and taller than the average 11 year old. *sigh* No wonder people tell me she's so skinny and scrawny. I mean, I SEE it when she's in a group of kids her age but........I just figured they were average or overweight. Apparently my kid isn't as normal as I think.