Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #31
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

Re: Rant...the constant "skinny" baby comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmommyx2 View Post
America is just fat and those charts have been adjusted to fit that, I swear!
Ain't that the truth!! People always tell me that my girls are "so tiny". I have been overweight my entire life so I am actually thrilled that my girls are so healthy. America's perception of healthy, skinny and fat is so skewed.

Advertisement

ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #32
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

The CDC has changed the growth charts for babies from birth to 2 years in accordance with the research the WHO did on exclusively breastfed babies from all over the world (the correct diversified population group to study!). This new chart is better suited (and much more accurate) for breastfed babies in comparison to the old version (many Pediatricians are STILL USING) which was based off a few hundred white formula fed babies in Ohio... talk about statistically biased info (ugh!).

Boys: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...l/cj41l067.pdf
Girls: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...l/cj41l068.pdf

You can print these off, plot your baby's growth (length & weight) and see for yourself if they are struggling with gaining enough weight. If they are pretty consistently following the same line (30% @ 2 mo, 32% @ 4 mo, 27% @ 6 mo, 29% @ 9 mo, etc...) then they growing normally. Every baby has their own growth curve. Once they are on it, they should stay on it, however. Barring major health problems, if they are in the 50% percentile @ 1 month, they should also be 50% percentile at 2, 4, 6, 9, 12 months. Its when they drop off that it is concerning because this is an early sign of failure to thrive and can indicate any number of issues like low milk supply, difficulty transferring milk, medical or health concerns, etc.

I am not a believer in the "one-size-fits-all" mentality. Each baby is different and will grow and gain weight differently than their peers. Much of this is genetic but sometimes there are external factors and sometimes a solution should be found to insure baby's optimal health. Being tiny or being fat doesn't really indicate good health. You have to look at the whole picture - the whole baby. And merely judging whether a baby is healthy based on their present size, isn't the most accurate.

If your baby is in good health, has a good appetite, makes an adequate number of wet and dirty diapers, is meeting their developmental milestones and is staying within their general growth range on the CDC/WHO chart for BF babies, I wouldn't worry what people say. They aren't knowledgeable enough to make a judgement.

If you find that your baby is not gaining weight as they should be, I feel you owe it to your baby to find the cause of the lack of weight gain and find a solution. If that means increasing your milk supply, you should. If that means supplementing with formula, you should. If that means offering to breastfeed more often, you should. What ever that looks like, the baby deserves to be given everything he/she needs to thrive. I don't think its fair to the baby when parents are so rigid about doing things a certain way that results in the baby suffering... (and inadequate weight-gain is an indication of this - something is wrong, whether its low supply, distracted baby who isn't getting enough opportunities to nurse, a rigid "schedule" for feedings, or an undiagnosed medical issue like the mom who's baby had a liver tumor removed, etc.) That's my two cents (or buck fifty - ).

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 09-20-2011 at 12:39 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #33
purplekiwi06
Registered Users

I sometimes can't believe the stigma that comes with breastfeeding. I guess it's western society where it's not the norm. Not many of my friends BF or even tried and have maybe talked down BF or my choice to CD. Bleh. Hang in there!
purplekiwi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #34
lovelymomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
The CDC has changed the growth charts for babies from birth to 2 years in accordance with the research the WHO did on exclusively breastfed babies from all over the world (the correct diversified population group to study!). This new chart is better suited (and much more accurate) for breastfed babies in comparison to the old version (many Pediatricians are STILL USING) which was based off a few hundred white formula fed babies in Ohio... talk about statistically biased info (ugh!).

Boys: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...l/cj41l067.pdf
Girls: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...l/cj41l068.pdf

You can print these off, plot your baby's growth (length & weight) and see for yourself if they are struggling with gaining enough weight. If they are pretty consistently following the same line (30% @ 2 mo, 32% @ 4 mo, 27% @ 6 mo, 29% @ 9 mo, etc...) then they growing normally. Every baby has their own growth curve. Once they are on it, they should stay on it, however. Barring major health problems, if they are in the 50% percentile @ 1 month, they should also be 50% percentile at 2, 4, 6, 9, 12 months. Its when they drop off that it is concerning because this is an early sign of failure to thrive and can indicate any number of issues like low milk supply, difficulty transferring milk, medical or health concerns, etc.

I am not a believer in the "one-size-fits-all" mentality. Each baby is different and will grow and gain weight differently than their peers. Much of this is genetic but sometimes there are external factors and sometimes a solution should be found to insure baby's optimal health. Being tiny or being fat doesn't really indicate good health. You have to look at the whole picture - the whole baby. And merely judging whether a baby is healthy based on their present size, isn't the most accurate.

If your baby is in good health, has a good appetite, makes an adequate number of wet and dirty diapers, is meeting their developmental milestones and is staying within their general growth range on the CDC/WHO chart for BF babies, I wouldn't worry what people say. They aren't knowledgeable enough to make a judgement.

If you find that your baby is not gaining weight as they should be, I feel you owe it to your baby to find the cause of the lack of weight gain and find a solution. If that means increasing your milk supply, you should. If that means supplementing with formula, you should. If that means offering to breastfeed more often, you should. What ever that looks like, the baby deserves to be given everything he/she needs to thrive. I don't think its fair to the baby when parents are so rigid about doing things a certain way that results in the baby suffering... (and inadequate weight-gain is an indication of this - something is wrong, whether its low supply, distracted baby who isn't getting enough opportunities to nurse, a rigid "schedule" for feedings, or an undiagnosed medical issue like the mom who's baby had a liver tumor removed, etc.) That's my two cents (or buck fifty - ).

i came back to this thread to post this exact same thing> my ped doesn't use it, but he always says her weight gain is fine for a bf baby. he is from india and rants everytime i am there about how good bf is for the baby and not to get lazy on him and switch to formula at least some of the peds are onboard!
lovelymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #35
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymomma View Post
i came back to this thread to post this exact same thing> my ped doesn't use it, but he always says her weight gain is fine for a bf baby. he is from india and rants everytime i am there about how good bf is for the baby and not to get lazy on him and switch to formula at least some of the peds are onboard!
It seriously makes my day to hear this and at the same time I want to move to where ever you are and start seeing this Pedi! That's awesome! What a great (and super smart) doctor!