Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you 'train' hair?

My dd's hair is always in her eyes, and so I use clips and pony tails to clip it back. She is 2 1/2 though so it is a lot longer (past her cheekbones) and will probably be much better in the last six months. I am going to let her bangs grow out and not cut bangs so it will be easier for her. Right now, she doesn't mind as much as she would when she is older.

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Both my DDs hair was this way. We cut DD1a 'bangs' for awhile, but as the rest of her hair got longer, her 'bangs' included ALL the hair on the top of her head from the crown forward! We started 'training' it by doing what you're doing. We also got some itty bitty rubber bands, like the smallest you can find. We gathered up the part we wanted to lay to the side (I arbitrarily decided on a side part cuz that's what I have in my hair ), and pulled it to the side of her head using the rubber band. Does that make sense?? I don't have a picture handy.... the longer it gets the better it gets. DD1 didn't get her 1st haircut until after 2.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

clips and rubber bands are out for us unfortunately. I wonder when she will let me put stuff in her hair again...
Old 09-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes
clips and rubber bands are out for us unfortunately. I wonder when she will let me put stuff in her hair again...
I have so many cute bows and clips for Jaz and she hates them! She does the same "checking" thing after I fix her hair. I have started using those small snap clips to keep her hair to the side. If I have DH talk to her and keep her attention and can sneak up from behind and gently get a clip in and she won't even notice! Thses clips are very tiny, like half and inch (maybe shorter) long.

Sent from my DH's Ally!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #15
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ODD wouldn't wear anything in her hair until age 3. Now she loves to have her hair done and will even put her own clips in there in the morning if i don't do it, and I can do all sorts of hairstyles on her!! I'm in heaven, LOL! But up to that point we just cut her bangs, even though I never thought it suited her face which is quite square and chubby. She looks so much nicer with it pulled to the side. Also, she had a lot of fine wispy hair and it definitely all just fell forward like a mop, it was impossible to control and was always in her eyes, even with the bangs, it was a constant source of annoyance for me, esp when it came to getting prof photos done!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #16
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love the pic w/her bangs -- so cute!

DSs hair is getting a little long and is not getting in his eyes. I try to spike it up for him (to keep it out of his way) but it just doesn't last all day. Once it falls down pushing it to the side it seems to stay a little better.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My DD always pulled out clips, but a rubber band that was on the looser side she leaves (mostly) alone
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksMama View Post
I can't even train my 3 3/4 year old's hair back or to the side! Even the stuff from the crown of her head just shoots straight forward after I do it.
Same here with my almost-4-year-old! She has a cowlick on the back of her head and everything goes forward in her face. I don't want to do bangs, and she has never had a haircut either.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksMama View Post
Even the stuff from the crown of her head just shoots straight forward after I do it.
Yes! DD's hair just shoots straight forward from her colic. I can comb it to the side, but unless I use some gel or creme, there is no way it will stay that way.

I am determined to let it grow so I can put her hair in ponytails. It is going to be an interesting year hair-wise, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
I can keep trying headbands too, but she is so funny! Everytime I brush her hair, she checks to make sure there is nothing in her hair lol. She is very very positive she wants nothing in her hair/on her head, she does the same with hats) And I don't even want to try pony tails anymore because when she ribs the rubber bands out they pull her hair out too so she will loose a lot of hair that way. I have to use those itty bitty rubberbands, no other pony tail holders I have found will stay in her fine hair.
This is DD too. She has very fine hair (though density has improved in the last few months) and no combs stay in her hair. They just slide right out. She won't wear any headbands; she just pulls them right off. She pulls the rubberbands out of her hair if I figured out how to get them in. If she can't just yank whatever out, she takes the brush and just starts brushing her hair until everything is out.

I can see it will be a challenge to get her to have anything in her hair. I want to start the ponytails early before she gets too much older. She is somewhat tender-headed and I want to deal with that right off the bat so we can get by that issue.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
meezburger
Registered Users

What a cutie!

As far as I know you can't train hair permanently, but if you comb it one way when it's wet, it will tend to stay better that way for a little while.
meezburger is offline   Reply With Quote