Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #31
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can people understand your 3-year-old?

DS1 was 3 in august. He was a super late talker, but dr. wasn't concerned. He only had a few words at 2. But now he has a lot of words.... he babbles on incessantly, but I can only make out certain words. He tends to lean toward getting the right inflection and emphasis, so I can get what he's trying to say, but not necessarily the words. He'll be like, "Wah wah wah pirates and wah wah wah D.V.D." and I know he wants to watch The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything DVD, but have no idea what he said.

That being said, I'm not concerned at all. He's smart in a lot of other ways, I think he's hearing fine. I think he's just a slow speaker. And I'm okay with that. Obviously, I don't know YOUR child and if YOU are worried then I'd at least ask your pediatrician, but if they didn't seem too worried I wouldn't worry either.

Advertisement

I'm an accidental hippie who loves BFing, CDing, Milkshakes, and Jesus.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #32
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I can understand my 3 yo almost all the time. With the exception of when he has his binky in his mouth (bad I know but we are working on it) or when he uses words he learns from ODS's tv shows like Pokemon, Bakugan, & Power Rangers and those are strange made up words. Everybody we meet comments on how well he speaks, same with ODS. Typically from 2.5 years on they spoke extremely clearly. I aree with the posters that say if you are concerned, have your child checked out.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote