Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
Dandelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dad gave me a book when I was 11. It was called 'what's happening to my body, book for girls'. He was a single dad and did his best. I had sex ed in 8th grade, at 13.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Advertisement

, ,
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #22
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion
My dad gave me a book when I was 11. It was called 'what's happening to my body, book for girls'. He was a single dad and did his best. I had sex ed in 8th grade, at 13.

OMG! This is exactly what my mom did same book and every thing. She was a single mother and super uncomfortable talking about that stuff. She never talks about anything like that.

I will talk about it through out their whole lives. I believe you discuss it in a manor that is appropriate for their age. In the end I'd rather them hear it from me then learn about it from a friends and learn wrong info.

BTW- that book was weird...I even thought that then. It's like all the things parents should talk about but don't want too.

Blaming typos on my "smart"phone's auto-correct
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016

Last edited by kushie tushie; 09-24-2011 at 08:26 PM.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #23
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When to tell about the birds and the bees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Around age 4. But I have been having babies as well with lots of questions on how and why. We explain sex simply at first then get deeper into it around 8 or 9. By age 10 my girls knew all about sex, condoms, diseases etc. My younger kids know what sex is, and how it works, but they have no need for "outside of marriage" terms yet (like disease, unwanted/unplanned pregnancy and birth control)

Yep at that age. Some girls start their period as young as 9 and if they know nothing about what is going on it can be a frightening experience. All you need to do until 7 or 8 is answer honestly whatever questions they ask. You need to use the correct terminology as well. There are excellent books out there like Where Do I come from? and My Mummy laid an Egg that help.

Last edited by willownz; 09-25-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
willownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #24
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
While I technically agree with you... you all just have to make it so complicated. Our way is simple - he came from the internet!
That answer would have made my life easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz View Post
Yep at that age. Some girls start their period as young as 9 and if they know nothing about what is going on it can be a frightening experience. All you need to do until 7 or 8 is answer honestly whatever questions they ask. You need to use the correct terminology as well. There are excellent books out there like Where Do I come from? and My Mummy laid an Egg that help.
Ugh, I remember in sixth grade walking into the bathroom to my friend crying her eyes out. She'd started her period at school and had no clue what was happening to her. She thought she was dying, literally, but was to ashamed to go the office or a teacher. I got a pair of my gym shorts and explained to her what was going on. How awful to have to hear that from another 12yr old instead of her own mom, she was really angry her mom didn't "warn" her about this.

What's the big secret was a book my boys really liked. It answered a lot of questions in a way they could understand easily. Unfortunately they called it their "sex book" which earned us a lot of odd looks from friends.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #25
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I learned about it from a bunch kids on the playground when I was 5 (and many times again thereafter). Some I read about on my own (encyclopaedias had a wealth of knowledge ).

My parents never had this talk with me.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #26
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

When I was pregnant with #3 our oldest asked us many times how the baby was going to come out as my belly got bigger. She was 3.5 and dh told her the truth. That we would go to the hospital and mommy would push the baby out of her vagina. Dd broke into hysterical laughter and said "NO DADDY! *giggles* pee comes out of there! Not babies. It's ok. I know mommy's belly will explode!" She did not believe him.

Now that I am pregnant with #4 she is 4.5 and has asked how the baby got in my belly. We've told her that daddy as part of the baby and so does mommy. Daddy puts his part in mommy and when the parts join together, the baby grows. She's been happy with that for now. I'm sure soon she'll ask how daddy's part got into mommy. And, if it's anything like the baby coming out, she'll laugh and won't believe us

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

This has been a very informational thread! Makes me think I need to be more open with my 6yo about it, especially now that he's started kindy and is around lots of other kids. I was thinking 6 was way too young. We use condoms for bc, and our toddler always finds the bright pretty packages so he sees those all the time and asks about them. I've always side-stepped answering him. Re-thinking that now.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
cbreeding
Registered Users

Since birth, I try to be as honest as possible, but age appropriate-although probably more technical terms than most would introduce. We actually have an anatomy/body function book that has a lot of graphics which we use to help explain a lot of what goes on in the body- from sex to digestion.

Obviously from birth is kind of silly as they can't ask questions, but for us it starts with calling things by their proper name. Plus DH and I take a bath with them so the kiddos see both of us naked which ensues questions or discussions about private parts/not touching.

Probably about the onset of puberty, I will have a more thorough discussion about all aspects but we'll take it as it comes.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote