Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Registered Users
1st attempt at night weaning=Fail

Well, I had decided that since dd was 13 months I would start trying to night wean her. I got a "program" to follow from one of the mamas on here and it was going great! One night she slept for 12 hours straight! We were still having fussing on occasion but nothing too bad. I was so excited! dd would sleep through the night and so would I! I'd just nurse her more frequently during the day to make sure I kept up my supply. (I don't really have an end goal in mind...just wanna keep going as long as possible) Well, about 2-3 weeks in, dd started having serious emotional upsets during the day. Any time she had to stop nursing for any reason (I take care of a special needs baby who sometimes needs my attention first) she would go into complete hysterics! And she doesn't really cry or throw all! This happened for about a week until my mommy instincts finally told me that maybe I shouldn't be night weaning her yet. She just isn't ready, emotionally. So now I still wake up to nurse her but I put her back in her bed afterwards. It's hard to not just plop her down next to me, give her a boob and fall back asleep, but I think this works better for both of us.
Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with you all. Maybe I'll try again in a few months. ^_^

Absolutely enjoying being a single mama to the love of my life, Kyla, born 7-19-10
Catlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Users
Aww! Good luck next time!
Loving Life as a Coastie Wife

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: 1st attempt at night weaning=Fail

That's hard. I'm sorry! Have you tried Dr. Sears' suggestions about night weaning? He has some gentle ideas (so does E. Pantley in the "No Cry Sleep Soln"). These ideas might help you move toward night nursing in a way that is slow, gentle, and will allow you to gauge your baby's readiness.
MarmotMommy is offline   Reply With Quote