Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
bamababies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
HELP...night time nursing..baby thinks I'm her passy

First off let me say co-sleeping is not for me. More power to all you mommies who like it!! I have tried it and neither she nor I sleep well. I can never get into a comfortable position. I have a very full size D it doesn't want to stay in her mouth w/out help. I have tried propping and it doesn't help. As soon as it falls out of her mouth she screams. Also she gets very sweaty snuggled up to me all night. Long story short co-sleeping in not an option.

Ok now that is out of the way. DD is 9 months and I believe trying to cut her top teeth. She wants me more for comfort than for nourishment. For example...she woke up last night at 9:20, 10, 11, 12, 1, 5:45 and then finally at 9:15. It's like having a newborn again. She is only comforted by nursing. I have tried teething tablets, oragel, tylenol (per dr suggestions). I have even tried letting her cry it out, but that doesn't work either. She will just cry and cry (this breaks my heart). I don't want to get the habit started of nursing her that often again, but I don't know what else to do. I need sleep too. Should I just tough it out? Is this common when they start to teethe? Will it pass once they break through or will it induce a habit? I do plan to nurse past a year, but does this make weaning harder?

Advertisement

My gone but not forgotten ^i^ DS T (9/06)
bamababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
MarmotMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP...night time nursing..baby thinks I'm her passy

This is pretty common. Nursing past a year will not make weaning harder -- actually, the longer you nurse the easier it is to wean because it's more natural for the baby. I wouldn't worry about developing a habit by nursing her when she needs it; babies tend to nurse because they have needs, not out of habit. Have you tried a "side-car" crib so that you can nurse her and easily return her to bed (yay! More sleep for you!) without having to get up? It's a nice compromise between co-sleeping and separate beds. My DD is going through the same thing right now, and it's tough, but bottom line, it's her way of telling you that nothing in the world soothes her like mommy (which is kind of nice).

Elizabeth Pantley (No Cry Sleep Soln) has some good suggestions, as does Dr. Sears. Baby is probably too young to night wean, but try these sources for ways to increase your sleep.
MarmotMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
MarmotMommy
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and another thing, if you are absolutely sure she's not hungry, you could try having your partner take some of the night wakings; daddies can offer comfort too.
MarmotMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
thekuan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmotMommy View Post
Oh, and another thing, if you are absolutely sure she's not hungry, you could try having your partner take some of the night wakings; daddies can offer comfort too.
That's what I was gonna suggest. We have my husband go to her with a small (like 2 oz) bottle on a slow or medium nipple at night. She started sleeping longer when she realized that it wasn't always me that was going to go to her at night.
thekuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
bamababies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish she would go to Daddy. The rocker is in our bedroom so she will just sit on him and look towards my direction and talk or grunt until I get up and take her. Little stinker...she knows I am still in the room. She is not nursing for hunger it is pure comfort. As soon as I put her to the breast she is out, but if I try to remove it before she is ready she wakes up..even if she is not sucking...

My gone but not forgotten ^i^ DS T (9/06)
bamababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamababies
I wish she would go to Daddy. The rocker is in our bedroom so she will just sit on him and look towards my direction and talk or grunt until I get up and take her. Little stinker...she knows I am still in the room. She is not nursing for hunger it is pure comfort. As soon as I put her to the breast she is out, but if I try to remove it before she is ready she wakes up..even if she is not sucking...
Sounds to me like she just needs mama!! It'll get better, just hang in there.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
MyChubs0831
Registered Users

My Mood:

Three words that will save your life = AMBER TEETING NECKLACE. Will GREATLY help on the all night nursings. Hang in there, it gets better!
MyChubs0831 is offline   Reply With Quote