Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O of a S/O "Advanced Maternal Age"- Tell me about it

I had my first and only at 38, was in (am in) terrible shape. I had no issues, no morning sickness, no pre-e, no diabetes, only gained 20lbs, etc. No deal at all. I did have to have more tests than someone young, and we felt like we had to wait and wait to find out that DS was ok before we could let ourselves be happy about the PG. So that anxiety was something that colored the PG until like week 28 when they can finally tell you everything is OK. That would be the only thing I think would be different that is b/c you are AMA. I definitely think that if I had already had a child that anxiety would have been much less, but since it was our first and every doctor is doom and glooming you, we were freaked out.

FWIW around here 38 is the avg. age of a FTM so it is really not the big deal that others may make you think.

Advertisement

Last edited by joslin; 09-25-2011 at 07:55 AM.
joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I'm 33 and dh and I have been doing a ton of research on 35+ pregnancy. 35 is the "cut off" and when risks start going up, but the risks of various things going wrong starts to sharply increase at about age 37. We're not comfortable with a pregnancy over 37 based on the risk outcomes, and his personal experiences at work with AMA moms. 35 is pushing it, and so we're planning on having our last baby before I am 35, or well, getting knocked up before 35. I'll be 34 this spring, and I'm not quite ready yet due to family circumstances. After that, we plan to adopt to complete our family. We were going to do it the other way, but then the realization hit that I'm no spring chicken, as far as having kids goes, anyway. So we flip flopped that.

dh is ready to TTC as soon as we get back from Disney, but I want to wait until I go to Europe this spring, if I go. Dad's health is failing, and we don't know if he will make it. But I'm too high risk to travel when preg, so I don't want to ruin my trip because I got preg.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I got call geriatric grand multipara, or something like that, when I was pregnant last summer at 36 years old. I just laughed when the nurse said that. I told her I sure didn't feel geriatric. Then she laughed too and told me that is just what it is called when you are over 35 and have had lots of pregnancies. As far as how I felt.....I felt no different with my 7th than I did with my 1st. Morning sickness for 14/16 weeks. Back/hip pain, except by the 6th one I knew to go to the chiroprator for that, so it was easier by then. The only difference was my weight gain. I gained between 35 and 60 pounds (1st baby) with my others, but with my 7th I only gained 17. I weighed less after he was born than I did before I got pregnant!! And last summer I hadn't gained any weight yet at 18 weeks when the baby passed. I'm looking forward to another pregnancy and baby, if it ever happens for us.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think it's also important to remember there is a difference between a 1st baby at 36 and a 4th. There are many things you already know about your genetics and childbirth history that drastically lower the risks of another baby.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

AMA I had not even heard the term until I read it here. It is just not a term thrown around at my midwives office. The ob/gyn at the office is older than I am and expecting her 5th. So glad because being treated like an old mama would have irked me. I get treated like a sage mama which I like.

Anyway this pregnancy had been awesome with the exception of morning sickness first trimester and gd which I got under control with diet. Gained 6 lbs. Total. The only issue is the pre-labor which is making me nuts but I get that with every pregnancy.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
AMA I had not even heard the term until I read it here. It is just not a term thrown around at my midwives office. The ob/gyn at the office is older than I am and expecting her 5th. So glad because being treated like an old mama would have irked me. I get treated like a sage mama which I like.

Anyway this pregnancy had been awesome with the exception of morning sickness first trimester and gd which I got under control with diet. Gained 6 lbs. Total. The only issue is the pre-labor which is making me nuts but I get that with every pregnancy.
My doc said it once and never again. He jumped to say "your not old, it just your at the point where you test risk even outs with problem risk" etc. Not once did he make me feel bad- I don't think he even would have said AMA if he didn't have to bring up the option for testing.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
I think it's also important to remember there is a difference between a 1st baby at 36 and a 4th. There are many things you already know about your genetics and childbirth history that drastically lower the risks of another baby.
this is also what my OB said
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

My son was born when I was 36, easiest pregnancy and definitely easiest delivery of all three. (First kid born at 28 and second born at 31)
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
gruverschick
Registered Users

I'm 16 weeks pregnant with #3 and turn 36 next month. I had #1 at 32 and #2 at 34. So far this pregnancy has been pretty much the same. My first trimester exhaustion has hung on longer but I am also chasing around an almost 3.5 yr old and a 20 month old!

I use a CNM and we have discussed the extra screening options but I have declined them. I did screens with my 1st then watched my sister get her 2nd false positive. After seeing the extra stress she went through and knowing that having a positive test wouldn't change my decision to carry baby as long as I could I decided to decline them. I did discuss my increased risks with my midwife. She felt that at 36 my risks hadn't increased enough to be very concerned.

The only thing (so far) that I know will be different is the anatomy ultrasound. My midwife suggests that I go to a paranatologist for it. She also suggests that I wait until 21 weeks so the heart will be more fully developed. She did warn me that they may recommend more ultrasounds later but if they only want to do them because I am old I may be declining them.
gruverschick is offline   Reply With Quote