Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Registered Users
Location: Seattle, WA, USA, surrounded by trees, listening to the peacocks calling in the zoo!
Re: Low supply after 6 months.

I agree that our milk supplies are directly related to how often our little ones are nursing. Is it possible to stop using the nipple shield and just nurse more often to increase your supply? There are also herbs that increase lactation. I'd contact both a LLL leader and an herbalist to find some support and accurate information. Our nursing relationships are so important! I wish you well!

IvyLunaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Registered Users
Re: Low supply after 6 months.

I'm so sorry for the delayed response but we had a family tragedy occur and I was with family and friends dealing with it.

That being said...
Thank you sooo very much for all the helpful advice mamas!! I took you guys advice and just tossed the bottle and formula! The first day was real rough but she did good! The second day i broke out my SNS that i was given at the hospital when she was born and pumped about an ounce of breast milk and used that while i nursed her a few hours later and it worked GREAT!! I'm still using it but plan to phase it out soon! I figure with her nursing at the breast and happy because she's getting a little extra, that will help to build up my supply again!

As for the nipple shield....
I had to use it from the begining with my DD1 because she was unable to latch at all (i have flat nipples), so the hospital was quick to give me nipple sheild and being a new mom i just used it and thought "well if i wanna BF i have to use it"...
Now fast forward 3 1/2 years later and i give birth the my DD2 and am hellbent on NOT useing the nipple shield this time around! Now DD2 was able to latch but was unable to get much out and intern lost 12oz of body weight in the first 3 days so the hospital gave me the SNS because of my refusal to giver her a bottle or use the nipple shield. It works great and she slowly puts on weight! I stop useing it at 5 days old then she has her 1st dr appt at 9 days old and she has lost 10 oz in 4 days and not having enough wet dipes a day so i cave and start useing the nipple shield
jerilynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote