Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Could it be affecting my supply already?

DS2 is 6 months old and EBF. I just started taking my bc this past Sunday. It's Jolivette, so the kind with only 1 hormone.

Last night DS was acting almost like he wasn't being satisfied. He normally nurses from one side and goes right back to sleep. Last night was different. He nursed from one side, didn't go back to sleep, and acted like he was still hungry. So I offered the other side. He emptied the second side and acted like he was still hungry. Needless to say, he nursed ALL NIGHT, and I am in pain today!

Could it be that the birth control is making my supply drop after only 2 days of taking it, and he really wasn't getting enough? Or is the timing of this weird night just coincidence?

I haven't taken my bc yet today because I'm a little worried about it.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Could it be affecting my supply already?

With the preface I know absolutely nothing about this, wouldn't anything that affects hormones potentially affect supply? Maybe check the side effects in the fine print?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

There's a 6 month growth spurt--it could be that.

From what I understand about the mini pill, most women will not have supply problems with it (and Dr. Jack Newman even says with a combo pill/method and proper breastfeeding management, there shouldn't be a supply problem), but there are probably always exceptions.

Just one thing: if you wait to take your mini pill, you might almost as well not take it at all--if you don't take it at the same time each day (within about an hour, I think), it is much, much less effective.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
gruverschick
Registered Users

I would think it is the 6 month growth spurt. I'm one of those exception who experienced a decrease in supply after being on the mini pill. For me, it took a little more than a month before I realized that the problem must be the pill.
gruverschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Mamakat1234
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was actually wondering about this too! I just started my pill a week ago and my daughter this week has been hungrier than usual. I think she may be going through a growth spurt though as I know there is milk in there! I guess we'll see!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe it's a growth spurt... That's what I'm hoping anyway! He seemed to act satisfied yesterday and last night...

I'm going to stick with the pill for now... Are there any things that I can do in case it does actually cause my supply to drop?

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote