Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need help, weekend night position?

Am a nurse at a hospital 1.5h away. I work sat and Sunday's. I leave at 5a drive, work, home at 930 pm, shower, in bed w kids 2 and 10 months and p at 4 am, leave at 5 am and o it again. Then I have mon thru Friday off w kiddos. My dh job is variable, sometimes requiring travel for wks at a time. When he does that, my sitter has to work 16 hours s day.

So I'm thinking of going to night weekends: leave Fridays at 5p work, home Saturday round 930am. sitter at home. Sleep few hrs up, sleep sat night, church on Sunday, little nap, then work Sunday night, home Monday, sitter here and I sleep. Then off tues we'd thurs Friday til 5 pm.

Thoughts? I would make a considerable amount more, but I'm thinking more...church...birthday parties...etc...

Anyone done or do this?

Advertisement

Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help, weekend night position?

My MIL has been doing this for years (NICU nurse). She works Friday night and Saturday night, sleeps most of Saturday and only takes a nap on Sundays. For the most part I don't think they had too much of an issue of her missing the "fun" stuff that happens on weekends, I think if it were important enough (kids b-day) she would take off the night before or switch with someone so she could be awake. The schedule worked out so well for them that they homeschooled that way, my FIL worked during the week and she worked on the weekend nights. If I had the opportunity to only work two nights a week and basically get paid like I worked 40 hours, I would do it in a heartbeat!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bump for update....dh says, no...
Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
beaniesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama,

I am a nurse also, and worked every Friday night 12 hours for a while and then weekday night. Working teh weekends took at toll on family time as DH works M-F. We never had Saturdays together and when I did work Fri and Sat night, I was so tired on Sunday afternoon that I didn't feel like doing much anyway...

i think shift work is tough enough. I would stick to flexible schedule 2 days a week. To us, weekend program wasn't worth the extra $$
Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
E-Mommy
Registered Users
seller

DH n I are going through the same thing right now. We both work in healthcare. He is on M-F straight eves and currently I work 12days everyweeked. 7+ plus on this schedule has started to take a toll on us. We recently found a drop in daycare center which is pretty pricey but worth it. Now I am going to work 2 days during the week so we can have more family time!
E-Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work nights and always have.. I prefer it. Esp with young children.. I just need a job I don't have to spend too much time thinking. Seems to me that you alreadey don't sleep much doing what you are doing anyway kwim?? I would give it a try..

ETA:
wow so sorry your dh isn't on board! did he give you a reason?

I kind of agree with a pp who said that the extra weekend $ isn't worth it if it takes away from your family time.. I got laid off from a job that was a hr travel time and the less stress, city wage tax, gas for the car etc was well worth the pay cut to us
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)

Last edited by joy7s; 09-25-2011 at 01:19 AM.
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yea, he and I heed to talk. Hes got a lot going on w work, I think he is concerned about it messing w his schedule.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
poppan
Registered Users
seller

The overnight schedule sounds better to me, especially if it pays more as well. You're already gone all day Sat and all day Sun anyway, if you did Friday overnight and Sunday overnight isn't that actually more time with family on the weekend?