Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

One side or both?

Up until now ds has nursed both sides for about 8-10 mins. He's 6 weeks old now and only nurses on one side most of the day(for 6-8 mins) and still both at night(sometimes up to 12 mins). He weighed 7.7 at birth and at his two week check up was 9.6. Should I worry or just let him do what he wants like I have been? I also pump the side he doesn't nurse (stocking up for my surgery) and I get 4-5 ounces out of one side. TIA

Advertisement

clothrookie3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

Re: One side or both?

I always did both and pumped in between. I don't see why you should worry about anything, because the weights look good to me. If it works for him, then thats great!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
MrsBoehm
Registered Users
seller

Trying positioning him differently on the side he has been avoiding. He may have fluid on his ear that is uncomfortable. Or keep doing what you are doing to stock up your surgery, that is actually a great plan. If you pump while he eats then you may get more milk.
Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
aequorea
Registered Users
seller

By one side I take you to mean that one boob is enough for him at one sitting, but that you alternate throughout the day. That's what has worked for us; only occasionally (usu nursing to sleep in the evening) do I ever need to offer the other side. I haven't bothered to pump the other breast since she was a few weeks old (or on those rare occasions where she slept straight through the night) because I had an oversupply and pumping just seemed to make it worse. In any case, do what works for you as long as he's happy & healthy!
aequorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequorea
By one side I take you to mean that one boob is enough for him at one sitting, but that you alternate throughout the day. That's what has worked for us; only occasionally (usu nursing to sleep in the evening) do I ever need to offer the other side. I haven't bothered to pump the other breast since she was a few weeks old (or on those rare occasions where she slept straight through the night) because I had an oversupply and pumping just seemed to make it worse. In any case, do what works for you as long as he's happy & healthy!
Yes that's exactly what I meant lol sorry if my wording was foggy (my minds a little foggy ) thanks I have an oversupply too but I didn't know if I would hurt it by feeding one side at a time.
clothrookie3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We feed one side at a time. I also have a hefty supply. That's how I know she's getting hind milk.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

I fed one side at a time for a long time (until she started getting more hungry) but that worked fine for us too. She was gaining appropriately, and I had a strong supply too so I stopped worrying