Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
BranAn7881
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Advice?

From the time that DD was 1, she has shared a room with DS. We had to move this past December due to a fire and we fortunate to find a house that would allow DD and DS to each have their own rooms. We painted and decorated each child's rooms to their tastes and they are happy and love them.

The problem, if it is a problem is that EVERY night, DD & DS still sleep in the same room together. Either DS will sleep in DD bed with her or DD will sleep in DS bed with him. It's gotten to the point that we just put them to be together. If they "allow" us to put them to bed in their own rooms, by morning, they are sharing a bed again.

Is this normal? I know that they enjoy eachothers company. I am just wondering if it is just a phase they will grow out of, or if we should be insisting on them staying in their own beds. We are laid back parents who try to pick and choose our battles so to speak. Since it's not really hurting them, we don't push the issue. My fear is though, that if we don't now, will it be harder to later or will they naturally stop. Also, what age should they stop sleeping in the same bed? DS is 5 and DD is 2 1/2.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

Re: Advice?

They are in a new house plus they are no longer sharing a room. I am sure it is a comfort thing. As for how old is too old...My DH lived in a 2 br growing up and had a sister 4 years younger than him who shared his room. We have discussed room sharing and feel that by puberty or getting close (so 8-ish?), the child should have his/her own room no matter what gender the other child is.

I know that isn't possible for every family, but that is what we think for us. I would say whenever one of them becomes uncomfortable or expresses the desire to have their own room.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

I wouldn't push the separation. Like pp said. New house, different room they just may want comfort.

That being said I'm 26. I have 2 brothers, 37 and 35. We still find comfort in each other. My husband says our relationships are odd. Up until I was an adult I frequently would sleep in the same bed (I've even done it a few times as an adult like when my dad passed.) it was a comfort thing. They are my blood. They "get" me. I actually find more comfort in them than I do my husband. I know that no matter what they are on my side and will never leave me. When my brother got divorced I was there for him. I held him when he cried. They hold me when I cry. We spent a week held up in my brothers garage when my dad died since the 35 year old would not move from a chair. Not all brothers and sister fight and bicker. Consider them very lucky to have to each other. No one will ever get you like a sibling.

The sleeping together will not last forever (every night). Give them time to adjust to the new house. And be happy they don't wanna beat each other everyday!
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote