Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
m0mmytime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Losing supply?

This is the first time I have BF and my son now 4 months is EBF and I started working about a month ago and feel that I no longer get as full .. he's also been nursing longer, could I be losing my supply? I pump at work every 4 hours tops. Any advice would be great..

Advertisement

m0mmytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Losing supply?

He is nursing longer because he is getting bigger and needs more milk. Try to nurse every time you can and this will help you to keep up with his needs. I remember that around the midpoint of nursing I didn't feel the milk as much unless I had waited a really long time to nurse. My body had just gotten into the rhythm of nursing.
If it gets to the point where you are not producing enough milk try taking fenugreek. It helped me to produce more milk when I had low supply with my third child. I had to take a huge amount to feel a difference 3000 mgs 3x a day.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is a point where you no longer feel full (unless you totally miss a nursing session). And while pump output isn't everything if you need to get more out def follow the advice from PP
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

You should talk to an IBCLC. They will be able to do a thorough assessment to determine if you are producing less or if you've gotten to that point in the breastfeeding relationship where your boobs just won't feel as full or if baby is eating more efficiently, etc... Its hard to say from a post.

Some considerations:

If you're going to pump, pumping more frequently is better to maintain supply than pumping duration. So, if you can pump every 2-3 hours, for 10-15 mins, that would be better than every 4-5 hours for 30 mins. Make sense? Frequent stimulation is VERY important. Also, if you can only pump for 5 mins, that is better than skipping a pumping all together.

After you nurse baby, what are you able to pump? If its between 0.5 - 2 oz, that is normal. If its less than that, you may not be making enough milk but that is just one variable and not necessarily a strong indication for every mom. Pumping is never a great indicator of milk supply. Babies are such better more efficient "pumps" so a before/after weight would be beneficial to see what baby is taking from the breast. You'd need a hospital grade scale and it would help to have someone trained to show you how to do it the first couple times. Then, if you have one available, you could do it at home whenever you needed to.

Hope any of that helps. GL!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

You might also find this link helpful - I've used it MANY times. Love Kellymom.com!

http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
m0mmytime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies for the advice I will try it!!
m0mmytime is offline   Reply With Quote