Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
linaboo
Registered Users

Re: Wool Mamas, Please Help

I always used GMD method,had spots of lanolin on the soakers,didn't bother me any.I figured the more lanolin the better.But my soakers were natural colour.I am making longies now and would want to try this baby wash method.I just always was reluctant to use it,'cos it doesn't make sense to me.Doesn't baby wash works as de-greaser at this point?Doesn't it neutralizes the effect of lanolin itself?I do believe it works for mamy of you,mamas but just want to understand HOW it works,KWIM?

Advertisement

linaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know either...it's a chemistry thing, which is not my strong suit, but I think I've heard the word "emulsifying agent" tossed about. Without knowing anything about the actual chemistry, that means the baby wash is a magical ingredient that allows the lanolin, which doesn't truly dissolve in water, to fully dissolve, leaving us w/ spot-free, evenly lanolized woolies
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
poppan
Registered Users
seller

Well, you're not using that much baby shampoo, and it's not that strong of a degreaser to begin with. It's probably akin to using a drop of blue dawn on a large greasy stuck on lasagna pan. Sure it's a degreaser--but with so little you are not going to get the pan clean KWIM?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

This might be bad, I haven't had tons of experience with wool, but when my wool needed lanolin & not a wash, I just rubbed a tiny bit of lansinoh (sp?) onto my fingers & then rubbed it onto the wool. No spots & it gets super sticky. Love it!
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
linaboo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
Well, you're not using that much baby shampoo, and it's not that strong of a degreaser to begin with. It's probably akin to using a drop of blue dawn on a large greasy stuck on lasagna pan. Sure it's a degreaser--but with so little you are not going to get the pan clean KWIM?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
You made it sound very funny.Thank you for your answer!You got me convinced,will try it next time
linaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I much prefer the pure lanolin/mild soap method to any of the wool washes. I just feel like it's more effective and you know exactly what you're getting. I also like the scent of pure lanolin, though - some people don't.

I use a glass jar to mix my lanolin solution so I can really shake it up to evenly dissolve everything. I also use lukewarm - not cold - water for soaking the wool: I found that cooler water made the lanolin clumpy and left spots.