Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
majors3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For those who birthed while your older child was present. . .

I have a question.
First the background: My DD is 3 and had just turned 2 when my DS was born. We had a birth center birth and had contemplated having her be there for the birth. Our midwives suggested having her watch some birth videos to get her used to the idea. So we did watch a handful of waterbirths on youtube. She has also seen her birth video and her brothers birth video one time. She ended up not being in the room when I gave birth to her brother, however sometime after he was born she started role playing being pregnant, having a baby or delivering her babies baby. Well a year later and this is still one of her favorite make believe games. I never make her stop of tell her she shouldn't I just keep figuring she will outgrow it but it's been a YEAR! I do wish she would pick something else to fixate on, I don't mind when she nurses her baby dolls. It's just sticking them in her shirt or especially her pants (which I actually have told her not to do cause her dollies might be dirty) and acting like she is giving birth just doesn't seem appropriate for a 3 year old!

Soooo, Am I being a prude? Has this happened to anyone else and how long did it last for??

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: For those who birthed while your older child was present. . .

My girls do it all the time. They'll put stuffed animals in there shirts, pretend they're pushing out a baby (or real kitten, poor things). My 4yo thinks saying "the baby is gonna come out of your VAGINA!" is hilarious. I think it's normal.

oh and they weren't there for any real birth, they just ask lots of questions. The older one has watched pieces of movies like Business of Being Born or Born in America so she knows more of what happens than the 4yo. I think they might be present at the birthing center when I give birth depending on the time of course.

Last edited by mrspnut82; 09-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82 View Post
My girls do it all the time. They'll put stuffed animals in there shirts, pretend they're pushing out a baby (or real kitten, poor things). My 4yo thinks saying "the baby is gonna come out of your VAGINA!" is hilarious. I think it's normal.

oh and they weren't there for any real birth, they just ask lots of questions. The older one has watched pieces of movies like Business of Being Born or Born in America so she knows more of what happens than the 4yo. I think they might be present at the birthing center when I give birth depending on the time of course.
Poor kitty!

I think it's normal!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

It's a lot for their little minds to process, and she's working it out through creative play. Totally normal and appropriate for her developmental stage
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

normal
Old 09-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Totally normal! My dd1 watched her sister being born when she was just about three, and then watched her other sister being born when she was 5.5. They play 'midwife' all the time. And, despite my babies being born at home, they also play C section at the hospital lol. I think they saw it on A Baby Story or something. They also love playing doctor and giving each other 'shots' even though they've never had one... It's just how they process stuff, it's totally normal and healthy.
We also had them watch birth videos, prior to their sisters birth, just to get them ready. And we also use proper terminology...so dd1 would often point out pregnant ladies and say "oh mommy!!! She has a baby in her uterus and she is going to puuuuuuush it out of her vagina soon!!!" Really loudly. In the middle of the store. Fun times lol.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
majors3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
And we also use proper terminology...so dd1 would often point out pregnant ladies and say "oh mommy!!! She has a baby in her uterus and she is going to puuuuuuush it out of her vagina soon!!!" Really loudly. In the middle of the store. Fun times lol.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's normal. I couldn't imagine having my LO in the room when I birthed, it would just be too much of a distraction. And neither of my kids came out w/o help, so seeing all the tubes and monitors poking out everywhere might be scary.
sorry, rambling I have never seen a birth. I hope I get the opportunity some day. Both my sisters saw DS1, they are pretty lucky! I think it may have delayed any nieces and nephews
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Normal! My dd was 9 when she watched her sister be born at a birthing center. She then decided she is never giving birth- only adoption. I am hoping she outgrows THAT.
But, I have to add that her sister's birth was truly traumatic so that is probably why she feels this way.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
And we also use proper terminology...so dd1 would often point out pregnant ladies and say "oh mommy!!! She has a baby in her uterus and she is going to puuuuuuush it out of her vagina soon!!!" Really loudly. In the middle of the store. Fun times lol.

i dont have a dd, but my ds came in once or twice while i was in labor. he hasnt ever acted like he was going to have a baby, but he has tried to nurse his stuffed animals, or pretend "animals" (like he was a daddy doggy giving milk to his babies). and all of my older kids at some point have had a hysterical laugh about putting a balloon or something up their shirt and looking prego (or fat) so I guess its all in good fun. and my ds loves to talk about penises and vagina's as well. we were walking up to the store the other day and he started saying vagina...sigh lol

Last edited by faiths13; 10-01-2011 at 09:38 PM.
faiths13 is offline   Reply With Quote