Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hair falling out in clumps

I have a foster son who has been with me for 2.5 weeks and when he came he had a head full of hair. I had washed is hair and put a little baby oil in afterward and that is what I have done with other babies. i have had babies thin out gradually before but this little guy is losing hair in clumps like a chemo patient does.

He had surgery 3 weeks ago and was under anesthesia not sure if it could be a side effect. Also, wondering if the stress of being away from his mommy who he is very bonded with could cause it.

One whole side of his heads hair fell out after a very good visit with mom. I was holding him later that day and it was obvious that he was searching for her. I looked down at my shirt and is was covered with clumps of his hair.

Does this seem realistic? Has anyone ever experienced it? Any other ideas.

Advertisement

Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hair falling out in clumps

is he AA (you mentioned baby oil) my GF (AA) has 3 kids and all three lost their "baby hair" like this. I saw them one day w/ a full head then within a week it was all gone. My1st (white) lost his really fast, but it's so fine and blond I don't think you would be able to notice clumps like you could with darker hair.

poor little guy I hope it's normal
Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend who's daughter has alopecia areata. For awhile after her parents divorce, they thought she was pulling her hair out as a stressor, but it really was coming out on its own due to the stress. It might be worth looking into.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I can see it being from stress. Poor little guy.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

If he just had surgery, is he on any medications? I've had my hair thin out big time (it grew back/no biggie) on one medication. Or, I'd stay he could be pulling it/stress.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No meds that he takes daily except Zantac and multi vitamin. This baby has been through a lot born at 28 weeks, needed help breathing, anemic, 3 blood transfusions, MRSA, septic, hernia surgery, ventrical bleed, hydracephaly and shunt surgery. On top of it young momma who was really overwhelmed so DCS removed him from her and he was very bonded considering she had been with him constantly in the NICU.

I guess that is why I am wondering about whether babies lose hair for stress. I will be holding him and look down and I am covered in clumps of hair. He's not pulling it since he is only the size of a newborn.

Just hate that next time he sees his mom he is going to be bald. i am going to try and get in to see the pediatrician tomorrow.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote