Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weird big toe nails?

So... today my sister showed me her 4 month old's big toenails, and she's a little worried about it. Basically only on her big toes it's like her toenail is growing up? It doesn't sit flat in the nailbed or something. She says that her FIL has the same thing on his thumbs and has always been very self-conscious about it, so clearly it's some random genetic thing. Obviously no big deal, just cosmetic, but I guess she is wondering if there is anything that could be done about it? Has anybody ever heard of this or know what it is called? I asked her to send me a pic so I will update if I get one.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Weird big toe nails?

My oldest has that. Doesn't seem to be an issue at all (she's 10).
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dh's pinkie toes do that and all 3 kids have at least 1 toe that grows up as well. Other than being a pain to cut it doesn't bother anyone so I never thought to question it.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the same thing with my big toe nails. Besides being embarrased about it, they've never caused an issue. My thumbs are weird too, and I've heard that attributed to some kind of dwarfism.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not to be all nutty, but cupped nails *can* be a sign of iron or b12 deficiency but more likely just the way her nails are. toes are weird.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

My sons toe nails are weird too. They are properly attached but at the ends where they grow out they start to grow upward. My husband has this also but it does cause him to have ingrown toenails which has been very painful for him. He had to have a procedure to kill the sides of his toenails twice to stop them from being ingrown. The procedure was painful for DH but now that it is over he doesn't have any more issues.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb View Post
My sons toe nails are weird too. They are properly attached but at the ends where they grow out they start to grow upward. My husband has this also but it does cause him to have ingrown toenails which has been very painful for him. He had to have a procedure to kill the sides of his toenails twice to stop them from being ingrown. The procedure was painful for DH but now that it is over he doesn't have any more issues.
This is exactly what it sounds like.
I guess that's what we were thinking, just when she starts wearing shoes we will have to watch it that they don't get ingrown.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This sounds a lot like DS's big toes! The nailbed kind of sinks in just a little, and then they curve upward especially at the ends. The nails actually look a little creased toward the ends. Our pediatrician said the way they grow will actually prevent ingrown nails (we thought the opposite). We do have to keep them short, though, because they break off really easily if we don't. He's 2 now and they don't seem as bad as they did a year ago.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My niece had something like this on several toenails and eventually fingernails. The nails were thick and as they grew they became thicker. I don't know what it was called, but eventually around age 5 she got a medication (possibly an ointment) that worked. It sounded like the medication was adult strength and they were hesitant to use it on a child, but her nails were gettig worse (and painful). I can ask SIL for more info if anyone wants details.