Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Registered Users
BLW when baby doesn't gag?

Ok, I have a friend who's babe just turned 6 mo maybe a week ago. He has only had purees about 3-4 times. But, he gets excited when he sees the spoon - likes to eat. She is interested in BLW and has tried putting stuff on his highchair tray but says he can't pick it up yet. We were at a restaurant the other night and my babe who is 7 1/2 months was eating green beans and broccoli. She tried handing hers a green bean which he enjoyed sucking on for the brief time before he dropped them on the floor. Then she gave him a melon slice/wedge and he held that and sucked on it happily until he choked!! For real, he was doing the totally no air, silent distress, arms flailing, red face. She grabbed him out of the high chair, tilted him downward and squeezed and he coughed it into his mouth and she pinky swiped out a large chunk of melon. Well, he has no teeth and it was a thick solid wedge so not sure how he got a chunk off anyway. But after everything calmed down and we were pondering, we realized that he didn't gag or anything. So she stuck her finger in his mouth pretty far back and pressed down on his tongue and he didn't gag! Some kids don't have much of a gag reflex or what? And how do you safely do BLW if yours is one of those? I am pretty new to BLW, but I thought the whole premise was that you start them on table foods while the gag reflex is far forward so they can practice chewing, etc. before they can get anything to the back of their mouth to swallow.... Any suggestions, experience? Neither of us really knows where to go from here with him. It was really scary!

Last edited by sunnymommy; 10-05-2011 at 09:22 PM.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: BLW when baby doesn't gag?

We had some scary moments with BLW ourselves so we did what I would consider a 'modified' version where we offered 'real' food but in TINY pieces. Our baby never liked purees or being spoon fed so this was sort of our only option anyway, and with tiny pieces we have not had problems. Our baby got big chunks of food off of things without teeth too. If you want to bypass the whole puree stage I think you certainly can but like I say we found that we could only offer food in tiny pieces for quite a while before our baby sort of got the hang of it. Also it took a long time for our baby to get interested in food. I just don't think you can rush it. Good luck
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote