Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

Not sure where to post this....

Ds is 1 and has been on solids since around 7 mos, and drank mostly bm with a little formula. We continued that until 10 months. As my frozen supply got low we increased formula and decreased bm. Then I started adding a bit of milkto wean from formula. He has been on just milk since just after his 1st b-day. He drinks around 30 oz a day.

Ds has been having some issues pooping. He goes everyday. He has always been an obvious pooper, but he started crying and screaming some while pooping. His stools have been very solid, rolling out of the diaper if I'm not careful. The rest of his diet doesn't consist of a ton of extra dairy. What can I do to help to soften consistently?

I know juice is good for that, but I don't want to do a ton of juice. Extra fruit? Anyone have recipes for anything with lots of fiber or anything to help? I don't want him to have to be uncomfortable.

Advertisement

DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
creative*genius
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not sure where to post this....

Prunes and apples will help soften. Also, offer water during the day. If he's dehydrated that will pull all the water from the stool, as well. Oatmeal, beans... stay away from bananas - they help to solidify. If that doesn't work you could always try a little stool softener - but I'd talk about that with the Dr. first cuz you have to make sure you use a good one and that you use the right dosage cuz too much will make them loose the ability to control their bowels. Also, is he holding it in? DD used to do that in the beginning of PLing. Then it gets really compacted and hurts coming out, too. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cut up a prune. Prune juice isn't the same when it comes to actually eating the fruit! Perhaps cut back on the milk? U can get calcium from other sources.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I read somewhere about 15oz a day of milk being ideal. Talk to your pediatrician rather than taking my advice on that. But something about how more than that is just filling their stomach with milk instead of nutritional solids. Anyways, you know what your child is eating, so you can determine if that's true - but just something to think about. 30oz seems like a lot. I try to get my DD to drink atleast 15, but lately it's been a lot closer to 11.

Anyways, something to think about.

and I second (or third) the fruit suggestion. My daughter loves fruit so much that I have to watch myself or I'll give her tons all day long. Well, I don't know why that'd be bad, really, but it seems like there should be moderation in everything, so.... I do fruit at breakfast, a little fruit at lunch, and some freeze dried fruit with her afternoon snack.

good luck! never fun watching your kid be uncomfortable.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

30oz seems like a lot to me too. IME milk is very constipating. I would cut back on the dairy first and see if that helps. IMO it makes more sense to try to get to the root of the hard poops before adding prunes, etc. Try having him drink a lot of water too. Hope he feels better soon!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
GLAZmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My child's poop did this when he was not ready for solids so I stopped them and kept EBF for 13 months plus and it helped.

Last edited by GLAZmommy; 10-07-2011 at 09:02 AM.
GLAZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
mommaof3luv
Registered Users
seller

My daughter eats prune baby food every one to two days and it has fixed her constipation.
mommaof3luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
mommaof3luv
Registered Users
seller

We use gerber organic or earths best brand prunes. They are both very sweet.
mommaof3luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

12 to 24 oz of milk is what is suggested. Adding fruit will help and try adding some water during the day. For immediate relief: purred prunes.