Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
bluekittycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What will this do to my supply?

I work part time as an elementary school librarian. I teach the library classes and have to see all my students before 12:30. I have no time to pump. I have tried to fit it in but between classes I have my other library duties. If I stop pumping when I am away from my son will I loose my supply. I really wanted to make it to at least a year but he is 8 months and I just can't pump anymore. It takes so long to get a few ounces.

I want to just stop pumping at work but I don't want to stop breast feeding.

Advertisement

http://www.facebook.com/ZippyDooDiapers
bluekittycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
PurpleRina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What will this do to my supply?

Try pumping for even 5 minutes. It sounds like for you, pumping could be for maintaining supply instead of so much for collecting milk. When you say "It takes so long to get a few ounces" it sounds like you are becoming worried about how much you can get. If you were able to let yourself off of the hook for that and pump even for just 5 minutes, could you manage that? It should still help to maintain supply to some point.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I think that is a great suggestion. I know a mama who keeps her entire setup hooked up and put together in a cooler under her desk. Whenever she has even a few minutes, she just pumps for that time and then puts it all back in the cooler still assembled. She is able to get several short sessions throughout the day, and it works for her to maintain her supply, and she gets enough milk too!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I went back to work when my ds was almost 8m and never pumped. He still nursed until just after his 3rd birthday. He was eating solids well enough by then that he didn't go hungry and he just nursed big in the morning before I left and in the afternoon when I got home, and then all night long. I was fine with all night; we coslept and I slept through it. I would just switch him to the other side of me occasionally.

Every situation is different, but I think its totally feasible to stop pumping and be okay, especially if you cosleep. Think about it - by this time, many babies are going long stretches at night without nursing and it doesn't hurt mom's supply. I just trained my body and my baby to do that long stretch during the day instead of at night.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
bluekittycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I am mostly concerned about loosing my supply completely. While I would love to provide milk for DS while I am at work it just isn't happening because I am not getting enough when I do pump.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
MamaCaroline
Registered Users
seller

I would also add, you could add a pumping session at night while your baby is sleeping. My theory is this: if you're going the whole time at work without pumping, that's about the time he's going to sleep if he's sleeping mostly through the night. So if you break up the nighttime like he's awake and pump or feed several times through the night, you are using your work time as your long stretch without feeding. This has worked for me with my very bizarre work/home schedule.

Really, though, as long as you are emptying completely around 8 times a day, you should be more than fine. I think it gets even less as babies get bigger.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
bluekittycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. I will try pumping at night. That makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, it should be like night weaning or any kind of schedule adjustment: even if you stop making extra milk for some part of the day doesn't mean that it will instantaneously dry up completely. As long as you're continuing to nurse sometimes, your body will adjust and make more milk for those times. By the time my babies were weaned (19 months, 14 months, and almost 20 months) we were just nursing at naptime or bedtime, but there was still milk in there. If you add in pumping to other times in the day, you'll still get milk then as long as you do it regularly.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I don't pump at work. DS is almost 9 months old and I go to the office 3 days a week. On those days I go 9-10 hours without pumping/nursing.

I worked up to this slowly. When I first went back to work at 2.5 months, I was gone about 4-5 hours at a time. I slowly stretched it out.

I do cosleep and I think he reverse cycles a bit.

I manage to pump enough for his bottles by pumping one breast while nursing on the other (not every time but here and there).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum