Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
RM09Mama
Registered Users
seller

Stinky EBF poop?

My twins will be 6 months old on Monday and are EBF. (We're planning to intro some solids this month -- I'm in no rush.) But I've noticed that lately their poop seems thicker and much stinkier! Also when they fart, it smells bad. Not that poop is ever pleasant smelling, but it had that sort of neutral, EBF smell before. Now it's like "real" poop. They are pooping less often (once a day, sometimes every other day) and more at once, which I know is normal, but I didn't expect the smell and consistency to change pre-solid foods.

Sorry to be so descriptive but I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as your EBF baby got older??

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stinky EBF poop?

After 4-5 months my EBF babies poop smell always changed with what i was eating. They are going less because their system is maturing and I'm sure they are spacing meals out a bit more too.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
RM09Mama
Registered Users
seller

They're going longer at might but still pretty close to 2 hours during the day (7am to 7pm). I'm not really complaining because their night sleep isn't TOO bad and I know they're probably not going to get 4+ oz at each feeding since each baby only gets one side.

I didn't even think about it changing related to what I eat, but now that I think about it, I can see that. Wonder why that is?? I was thinking maybe it had something to do with their GI systems getting geared up for solid foods...?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is only two months old, but I am finding that the whole EBF poo doesn't stink is a myth. It doesn't smell like regular poo, but it is very strong and unpleasant. Almost vineragy or salty or something. I very nearly gag sometimes. I can smell it through the CD and his clothes. Yuck, yuck, yuck. The consistency has also changed. It's usually pretty thick, like mustard, but sometimes runny and seedy.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When this happened to mine I started to give her probiotics and her poo stopped stinking and thinned out again. I got dairy free children's powder and mixed it with water or bm and she loved it. I gave her about a tsp a day.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS's poo is exactly like you described and has been for a month or two. He goes less often as he was before (and he used to be a several-times-a-day pooper) and his poo now is the consistency of peanut butter. We haven't introduced solids either and since he's not in discomfort and still has regular wet diapers and semi-regular poos, I figured it was just his digestive system maturing.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
RM09Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08
My DS is only two months old, but I am finding that the whole EBF poo doesn't stink is a myth. It doesn't smell like regular poo, but it is very strong and unpleasant. Almost vineragy or salty or something. I very nearly gag sometimes. I can smell it through the CD and his clothes. Yuck, yuck, yuck. The consistency has also changed. It's usually pretty thick, like mustard, but sometimes runny and seedy.
I agree that EBF poo has an odor even at the beginning. Pretty much from the beginning we've been able to sniff through clothes and diaper to tell if they've pooped. I think it kinda smells like sweaty socks...random, but that's what pops into my head.

I'm glad to hear that others have noticed a "poopier" smell as your babies get older. I have an older son who was EBF to 6 months also, but I just don't remember this part. Of course, he's always has tummy issues, so he may not have followed a "normal" progression even that young.