Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
hyperlactation syndrome??

anyone else have this problem?? how did you deal with it? i feel like i've tried everything. i need my DD to get more hindmilk, she has been having foremilk poops (the green ones) for almost a week now, i can't seem to get this regulated.

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have this problem & have found that block feeding has worked well for me. I have to keep my ds on one breast for at least 4-5 hours before switching. I leak out of the other breast like crazy, but so far this has been working. I found these 2 pages to be the most helpful:

http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

and

http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

Hope this helps!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: hyperlactation syndrome??

I had the same green poop/too much foremilk problem when I switched DS from nursing from only one breast back to both breasts (both sides could produce enough to feed him the whole day, but the one side I exclusively nursed on would get heavily engorged after 2 hours!!).

What I do now is block feed but for the whole day; first day I nurse only on the left. When he wakes up for night feeds I start on the 2nd breast and continue on until night when I switch back to the other one.

I pump the other side he's not nursing on and I dump the first 4 ounces in the morning (all foremilk) and keep the rest during the day to freeze or use as a nighttime bottle.

I found doing the all day block feeding worked really well for me since it decreased my supply as well and I don't get engorged as fast (after I pump in the morning at around 10am I don't get engorged again until 7pm if I miss a midday pumping). This way I've got enough milk so that DS will have plenty to eat but not enough to go back to normal nursing yet on both sides. As soon as I started doing this he went from green poops back to seedy yellow ones after 2 days. I hope this helps!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: hyperlactation syndrome??

thanks mamas, this is so frustrating, why can't my boobs just work like they're supposed to?!?!