Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
aequorea
Registered Users
seller

10 mo not interested... how hard/often should I try?

My 10 mo old seems spectacularly uninterested in solid foods. While she will now suck on an apple core for a minute, she grimaces at applesauce. We've tried rice, oat, and mixed grain cereal, banana, avocado, mango, peaches, etc... and while we can get her to accept a small amount, she has never shown any real interest in what we've offered. I'm not worried bc she's still nursing well & gaining weight just fine, but I'm wondering if we're doing the right thing by trying to spoonfeed her or if we should just stop altogether till she starts showing definite signs of interest. Anyone BTDT?

Advertisement

aequorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 10 mo not interested... how hard/often should I try?

Yep, my 14 month old still barely eats. She finally started eating some solids just shy of her first birthday. Before that, she ate nothing. I tried each meal (we did BLW, so just put some of what we were eating on her tray at each meal) and eventually she ate something. I think yogurt was an early favorite (I gave her Brown Cow whole milk yogurt) and she loved to bite off of a banana early on as well. Now at 14 months she will generally eat about one meal a day, but sometimes she'll go a day or two without eating. She's still nursing as well so I don't worry about it.
megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my oldest didnt like solids. she nursed for 2 years on demand and started to eat like a meal a day at 18 months. she is tiny, but i think its the spanish in her, not the lack of food.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
sashaz122
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mine is the same but loves gnawing on stuff. Try peeling the fruit and holding to see if she will eat it. My daughter can eat almost an entire peach - she bites into it, chews (!) at 9m and swallows and so on. She screams if I take it away yet won't eat it if I puree it. Same with meat I was so shocked - she would bite into it chew and swallow but won't eat otherwise. I'm still trying things lol.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

My nearly 10 mo is the same as yours... a bite or two of this, a "taste" of that and DONE. He just isn't interested. I'm not worried. He's breastfeeding well and gaining weight so I guess solids will come when he's ready. Its an interesting waiting game, though. All our friends have been doing solids for months now and sometimes I feel a little funny when they ask about LO but oh well. I trust him and I trust that we will know when its right.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD had a food aversion for a long time because of meds we had to force down her for medical reasons. At about 10 months she decided she wanted to eat. We have tried baby food, table food, finger foods, you name it and nothing worked until she decided she wanted to eat. I always put stuff on her tray and she would sometimes take a bite, most of it went on the floor. We had to hand feed her at first, wouldn't eat off a spoon and too lazy to feed herself. Her first meal that consisted of more than 3 bites was green beans, and it was about 2 TBS of them! And now she eats about as much as my 6 year old and she eats about 2x a day, sometimes 3, mostly lunch and dinner. I give her table food, and if it's something spicy then I try to take out some of it before I add spice to it, otherwise she will eat a jar of fruit. She doesn't have teeth yet (at 1 on Wednesday) so eating real fruit hasn't worked for her, but she loves jarred fruit. They will eat when they are ready, is basically what I was getting to, so don't worry.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

I'd avoid feeling stress about it, they can sense that and then it could become an issue. Just let it be casual and as you eat your food let her taste what you eat to get her interested in the next step. Just trust that it's only natural for a baby to eat or drink what they need. She'll know when she needs more.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
walley5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4th baby didn't eat solids at all until 15 months. I'd offer him bits of this and that every so often, but he always acted like it was the most awful thing in the world. He was healthy and chunky but I had never heard of a baby refusing foods like that. When he was 15 months old I got pg and was so sick I just was not able to hold anything down and needed to wean him but didn't know what to do since he was still exclusively bf. We coslept and he nursed all night and it was wearing me out with the pregnancy. DH started putting him to bed in a crib and amazingly, after a few days he not only slept on his own but started eating anything and everything, as if he had been eating solids for months. It was so odd, but I guess when he was ready, or when I needed him to be, he went all out!