Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
NSB
Registered Users
seller

Re: Extended Breastfeeding?

Good Lord, I nursed DD2 until she was just turned 5!LOL DD 1 hated nursing and I only nursed her for 6 months (we were both miserable) and I thought DD2 might be my last child (could carry another pg) so I never felt ready. And by the time she could talk she was so cute about it. After about 2yrs old, she would only nurse once or twice a day, usually before a nap or bed. When I saw the show "Grown Ups" and they had the 4 year old that nursed I thought "Oh, gross!" But my 4 yr old was still my *baby* and it didn't seem weird. DD1 was 5 when we took away her paci without guilt and DD2 was 5 when we took away "mama" without guilt. It worked for us. And now (7 yrs later) I have been BF our son (whom we adopted at birth) for 11 months DD2 pretty much insisted that I nurse him b/c "mama" was sooooooooooo good It was like she was living vicariously through him!LOL

Long story short, do what YOU want and you won't have any regrets, IMO.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

On the independence issue. ODD was incredibly independent for her age (PLed, could dress herself, played independently, could go on weekend trips without me, etc) until I weaned her at 27 months and she was not at all ready. Then she became clingy and dependent and started sucking on a pacifier and her thumb.

If I had it all to do over again I would have fought against the social pressures that told me it was weird and that she was too old and my own discomfort because of pregnancy and just let the little baby nurse. Our society really does force kids to grow up too soon.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 20 months old and I have just started weaning her, because I'm pregnant and it's really painful to nurse. She's actually taking it really well, though, and doesn't seem to be bothered by nursing less. we're down to 2 times a day, before nap and before bed. This week I'm night-weaning her.

I think it's not as big of an issue as sometimes we make of it, because really, who will know at that age that she's still nursing? My goal was 2 years, and I think we'll still make that, but most of my friends even don't know that she's still nursing, because it's not a constant thing anymore. We go home to nurse.

Oh, and she's super independent! People comment all of the time on how independent she is. She doesn't have a pacifier or a lovey or anything like that, and she's just about graduated with elimination communication at 20.5 months. Nursing doesn't hinder their development; it just gives them somewhere to run to and a great healthy snack, lol.

Last edited by songbird516; 10-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

My little girl is still adoptive nursing and she is 31 months right now. She isn't anywhere close to weaning, although I have thought she was a few times. I am honestly ready anytime but I am letting her choose. I will cherish the time we have left nursing. She usually only nurses in the morning and before nap and bed but will ask for it when she is hurt or mad or just because sometimes too. She doesn't really have anything else that soothes her like nursing and I tried hard to get my milk to come in to be able to nurse an adopted baby and I am going to let her choose when to stop. I don't think she gets more than a few mouthfulls anymore but she is happy with it.
misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Jeanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was 3 and a half when I made her stop bf b/c I was preggers and it was just really, really uncomfortable for me. I worked at a daycare and they all thaought I was a freaky weirdo for CD and extended bf. NOBODY had even seen such a thing- lol. The daycare mentality was so different from mine that it was comical. I just told them I knew they were talking about what a weirdo I was and that I didn't give 2 craps. It made them laugh and they all liked me and I ended up being rather influential on many of the younger girls ideas for future parenting. So- use your differences from the cultural norms as an opportunity to educate others!!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #16
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeSpade View Post
The CDC recommends nursing for the first 2 years. We are one of the few (only?) Countries that encourages weaning at a year. Somewhere along the way, Americans decided babies needed to grow up faster.

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyaks View Post
This. Weaning happens naturally and much less dramatically when it is baby_led. My baby is very independent, more so than many his age. And he nurses. Weaned does not = independent, and the length of time is individual. I recommend you do your own research and make a decision with your heart. So much of our perception on nursing is cultural. Older toddlers nursing is fine, it is not too old, that's a cultural misassumption.
yup to the above!

DD#1 self-weaned at 19 mos. I was horrified. I cried for 3 weeks.
DS self-weaned at 38 months. It was natural, I wasn't quite as horrified, i still cried, but only for like a week.
DD#2 is 32 mos old and is still nursing.

OH... and I was nursing DS while I was preggo with DD#2. I tandem nursed. It was the best thing I could do for those 2 's relationship. Amazing.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSB View Post
Good Lord, I nursed DD2 until she was just turned 5!LOL DD 1 hated nursing and I only nursed her for 6 months (we were both miserable) and I thought DD2 might be my last child (could carry another pg) so I never felt ready. And by the time she could talk she was so cute about it. After about 2yrs old, she would only nurse once or twice a day, usually before a nap or bed. When I saw the show "Grown Ups" and they had the 4 year old that nursed I thought "Oh, gross!" But my 4 yr old was still my *baby* and it didn't seem weird. DD1 was 5 when we took away her paci without guilt and DD2 was 5 when we took away "mama" without guilt. It worked for us. And now (7 yrs later) I have been BF our son (whom we adopted at birth) for 11 months DD2 pretty much insisted that I nurse him b/c "mama" was sooooooooooo good It was like she was living vicariously through him!LOL

Long story short, do what YOU want and you won't have any regrets, IMO.

I came here looking for extending nursing. It is funny how we look at extended nursing I remember seeing a 3 year old nursing and thought WOW interesting. As you one year turned into another my 1st DS weaned at 7 I know 7 but by that time it was getting so infrequent you could probably say 6 I was still nursing DS2 who was 3 and pregnant. He said Mom DS2 and baby in tummy need it I will stop and that was the day it ended. DS2 continued nursing DS3 was born when DS2 was 4 and we continued nursing until he was just 5 just one day he said he was done and that was that. DS3 is stilling nursing at 3. I have continuely nursed since Oct 2000. Now that is not to say like a newborn the whole time. As the LO got older the nursing whindled down to nap, bed, when they got a skinned knee etc.... until one day they were just done.

I agree with everyone it is a mutal relationship and everytime I felt something wasn't working we changed and met in the middle. Like when I was pregnant and my nipples were killing me I would set a timer or sing ABC's or do two minutes.

I would say at about 2 1/2 we only nursed at home or around others who were comfortable with it. It all goes so fast each baby/toddler is so precious even if you nursed for 2,3,4 or more years it really is such a small part of your life and theirs and you will have wonderful memories to cherish forever.

Last Dec 11, 2010 I lost my baby Joseph at 20 wks gestation born still. I was so thankful I was still nursing DS3 someone to drink my milk that was for the baby and someone to fill my empty arms. I could go on and on about the joys of extended nursing.

Enjoy your journey whatever you choose for you and your nursling

sorry so long
hby is offline   Reply With Quote