Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Postpartum support

Been doing some reading in the postpartum area and it seems there are tons of belly binders, tummy wraps and other support thingies. Has anyone used a postpartum support band of any kind? If so, what kind and did you like it?

Blessed and happy wife to DH 11/10 Mama to Z 11/11!
Catholic, mostly SAHM, cautiously vaxing, BFing, CDing,
BWing, non-circing, fun loving, joy filled
BrandNewMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Postpartum support

I have a fabric strip I had someone on another forum cut to size for me based on instructions in a natural health book belly wrapping after birth. I'll be using that with diaper pins like I did after my youngest daughter's birth.

Originally I was going to have c-section with Kadie and read how supports can help heal the body and help recovery. My ob with Kadie would have given me a support after the c-section, but I decided to wrap instead. One of the things great about the fabric wrap is that you can fold it down or unfold it if you have shorter torso, most supports I looked at didn't adjust width-wise. A fabric wrap may also offer you more versatility with sizing and comfort...I know for me on somedays I felt more comfortable with it tighter/looser than others. Also, it fit perfectly from when I started to when I finished belly wrapping even though I was significantly larger/smaller. In a nutshell, I decided to wrap instead of a post-partum support figuring it would be more comfortable, more versatile size-wise and cheaper. The woman that cut the fabric picked one that was white (so I could bleach it if I had to) but also a bamboo cotton mixture, I think it was, because it resists all sorts of yucky stuff but was soft. We ended up not having a c-section but I wrapped anyway, for the benefits after vaginal birth.

I think it did help with the tummy and lower back support...I had back pain and my back felt a little...woobly...from the epi I think. The counter pressure also helped the cramps (and helped break up gas-ha) and supported the leftover belly pouch. I can't say for certain it helped me get a slimmer belly faster because I've always slimmed back down but after Kadie, months PP, I noticed less of the itty bitty pouch I had before conceiving her. I was ebfing and babywearing too though.

ETA: Here's the link to the book:
Jamie: Kinda crunchy, very blessed mom to 5 & volunteer firefighter.
I love making a home for my man in uniform and my children.
Baby Girl due 01/05/16!
Spunkify is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

I am hoping to have a vaginal birth but will be asking for a support belt in the hospital to help hold everything together and make healing easier.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have a Medela PP support band. It's great for supporting the muscles and back. I'd say the only "drawback" is in the situation of a cesarean (the bottom seam of the support rides right on the bikini incision). Outside that scenerio, I'd say it's well worth the investment!
Jeanne, blessed wife to my best friend EJ , SAHM to
spectrum E 09/06, 06/08, Wyn 10/09, Rose 10/11 & River 03/14
Havah is offline   Reply With Quote