Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Food Strike

DD is 9 1/2 months now and we've done a mixture of purees and BLW since she was 6 months old. She's always eaten like a champ (definitely daddy's girl) and we've never had issues when it came to solids. Now all of a sudden the kid won't eat! She takes about 24 oz of milk a day... acts like she's interested in eating, takes one or two bites and is DONE. I'm so confused, where's my piggy pig?? This is day 4 of her food strike (or maybe day 5??)

The only things she wants to eat are those gerber puffs! UGH! I should have NEVER gave her those things... and she of course will eat all the stuff she CAN'T eat (like our chicken enchilada pie we made last night, covered in cream of nasties soup and sodium galore) OF COURSE she wants that... Thats not okay to give to her, is it?? I would assume no...

What are your 9 month/10 month old eating?? How much? (both BLW and puree mama's, your input is greatly appreciated!) Should I even be concerned? When SHOULD I be concerned? ugh, so many questions....

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Food Strike

sounds like a perfectly appropriate meal to me. Not for every meal, obviously, but there's nothing wrong with chicken enchilada pie - that's the whole idea of BLW - that they eat what you eat.

If she's been eating mostly bland purees and been given a taste of something more.. well, tasty, it's not uncommon for a baby to turn their nose up at the bland stuff. Even homemade baby puree isn't exactly flavorful. My kiddo's favorite puree? Parsnips. Smells awful to me, but I'm thinking that the fact that it actually has a strong taste makes it very desireable to her. or did. but she hasn't had purees in a long time. Still liked to gnaw on steamed parsnips though.

anyways... there isn't anything that a child under the age of 1 should be eating. There is no reason at all to be concerned. Under 1, just for fun.. it's not about meeting her nutritional needs at this time - her liquid diet should be doing that and 24oz is plenty sufficient.

when to be concerned? when she isn't producing 6+ dirty diapers a day.

as for the puffs, they're fun. they are allowing her to use her hands, practice her pincher grasp, etc. If you don't like them, try other finger foods or cheerios. but remember, 'under 1, just for fun'.

also, teething generally makes them resist solids - it hurts to chew. but you said she was happy to eat enchiladas, so I'm thinking she's just resisting bland food.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!

So I shouldn't worry about her salt or sugar intake? She just seems to want things that I would consider to be overly salty or full of sugar... *sigh*
Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

well, sure, on a daily basis you don't want your child to get too much salt or sugar. But a meal here and there isn't the worst thing in the world.

If she's eating healthy all day and ends up with a saltier meal at dinner, it'll be okay. If you're the one cooking, try to set aside a less salty portion for her. Sometimes that means pulling a portion off the stove before you add certain ingredients. If you're not cooking, then it gets more difficult.

I tell you, having a child that eats solids makes for less interesting things for mom sometimes. Whenever we go out, I have to get something to eat that she can eat (or I guess overpay for a child's meal that she won't finish) and I never get what I want anymore :P

There is a book 'First Foods' and then the BLW cookbook is also useful (but no photos - arg!) that gives recipes for things that you would like to eat and that you can safely feed your kid. It tells you in the recipes when to set aside a portion for your child and continue adding things to the adult version so that the sodium intake isn't too much, etc. That might be helpful if you're very concerned.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooo, I will have to head on over to Half Price books to see if I can that! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

soooo I keep reminding myself that she doesn't NEED food because my little girl who ate 3 meals a day AND snacks... just won't eat anymore I've offered her TONS of stuff... even alfredo! No child of mine will refuse alfredo! lol... but nope... not havin it... *sigh* I hope this is over soon because I miss my little piggy pig
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS goes through phases where he doesn't really want to eat. Being that she's under 1 year I wouldn't worry about it at all. She'll come around, just keep offering and try not to worry about it if she refuses. DS is in a no food phase right now (he's usually a great eater!) and it's incredibly frustrating, but bottom line is you can't force them to eat. All you can do is provide food for them and either they choose to eat it or they don't. I have to remind myself of this all the time otherwise I'm making 5 meals to try to get him to eat something, you know? I guess sometimes I'm not as hungry as usual and he's probably going through the same thing right now.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry. She'll probably be back to her food loving self in a week or two.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
blessed22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!! She's slowly coming around... but her eating habits have definitely taken a loop... so odd... guess its just a part of the process!