Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Are you getting checked for dialation etc or not?

My MW only checks if I ask her to, and I haven't wanted/felt the need to.

But, I went in to the OB a week & half ago (at 37 wks) for an external version (breech baby) and the dr. wanted to check. She said at the time I was 1 cm & cvx was starting to soften. I have another OB appt tomorrow (still breech, so it looks like no homebirth for me) to see if the Dr.s will let me try a vaginal breech birth or if I'll have to have a caesarean. I suppose they'll want to check again.

If I do have a vag. breech birth, I'd rather they didn't check over and over again....seems like it'd just drive me batty.

Advertisement

2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MW doesn't do checks, especially not before labour starts, unless there is a reason to suspect a problem.

In previous 2 pregnancies I was never checked until labour, or when i had my membranes swept (and went into labour later that day). Even then, they only checked me when I came into the hospital to determine if >3cm, and then at the end when I said I wanted to push both times.

My MW will do it on request, and she says often she does it for vbac patients who are anxious to know if they are progressing, and it can set people's mind at ease. I must admit I am always a little curious about what is going on, but I wouldn't do it for that reason alone! It is kind of nice during labour to know that the pain you are going through is actually doing something productive though!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
momnixon
Registered Users
seller

Mine check every week starting at 35 weeks. I like it, just 'cause I'm curious and my Obs/MWs are all female, so it doesn't bother me. Plus most of them have "good hands". This time it was good she checked 'cause baby is breech and that's nice to know.
momnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #14
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

I think my midwife will start checking around 37 weeks or so when she starts stripping my membranes.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have a midwife apt tomorrow and have no idea if I will be checked. Part of me is curious but then again I hate to be checked to LOL
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
DustysSweety03
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was checked at L&D Triage Sunday at 36wks4days and was high and closed up. I have a appt tomorrow at 37wks2days and plan on asking for the midwife to check since I'm sure she'll do the gbs test tomorrow. I've been having good pains and cramping down low since Sunday so I'm hoping to be dilated some.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #17
faithsoles@gmail.com
Registered Users

I am 36wks tomorrow and I had an appointment 2 days ago. My midwife/ob-gyn said that its really not necessary unless I have been contracting or show other signs. She said with her years of experience it changes so frequently and could mean nothing more often than something so why get hope up? Totally agree Just wait and enjoy each minute. And don't put off hygiene cause they may surprise you!(Like Thursday morning, Friday night emergency cesarean,and showered after all my visiters left Saturday night- yuck!)
faithsoles@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote