Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:
Anyone a realtor?

I would love your feedback --

what do you like/hate about it?

I would think it could be a great job for moms because you can show houses on evenings and weekends, right?

I am considering becoming one and was just hoping to hear from other moms!

Advertisement

MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone a realtor?

I am not a realtor but my Mom is and she loves it. It is a lot of work especially in this economy. According to my Mom, to get it to work you really have to work it like a full-time job. She decided to go into this about 10 years ago and she has had some success but not regular listings or sales like she hoped especially in the housing market now.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I used to work in the real estate industry although I am not a licensed agent. I have to say, this is not a job for a SAHM. 90% of the agents I know work 50 to 70 hours a week (at one point I knew well over 100 agents). This job is unique in that just because you have a license, does not guarantee income. You have to be constantly earning your new clients and making a name for yourself and that takes time. You have to be available whenever your clients need you. It would be very unprofessional in almost all cases to have your kids with you at showings, with you at the office or running around in the background when you are on a call. All this to say, this can work for plenty of moms but its a real job, not just a fun hobby to make extra cash. Its a lot more time consuming than people realize. You have to work with insurance agents, lenders, title companies, repairmen, inspectors, lawyers, etc. and all those people work during business hours. Showings would only be a small portion of what you actually do. You also have to be available for closings and those take place during business hours. You would have to have a sitter available all the time at a moments notice because closing times change constantly. Its all about adaptability in that industry and for a mom caring for small ones, that is challenging.

Last edited by doodah; 10-21-2011 at 07:54 AM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a daycare client who is an agent.

He brings his kids to me every now and then. There will usually be several days a week, then nothing for a month or so. Sometimes it's just for an hour or two, sometimes all day.

You really have to be flexible with the clients, and be there when they are ready. They may be driving past a home on a Thursday at dinner time, and really want to see it that night. So, you want to try to accommodate that if you can.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks guys. After thinking about it a little more, I don't think it's something I want to do.
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend who has two kids is one. She did scale back when her babies were young but now it is a full time job and she has a nanny. She been an agent for 15 years and gets all her clients from referrals and doesn't have to go seeking customers. If she did it would add more time. She does make very good money and has a very comfortable lifestyle but I don't think it something you can just jump into very part time when you are in the midst of the hard part of raising kids.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote