Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Four month old ready to eat solids already!

My first child really, really wanted solid food at about 4 months of age. She could sit up at 4 1/2 months on her own. She crawled at 5 months. We held her of until almost 6 months but I think she was probably ready much earlier. It is interesting how different children can be. My second child showed no interest in food until...well I can't remember when HE showed interest instead of us pushing the food. At a year he still wouldn't eat more than a couple of tablespoons a day. She is still a good eater and he only eats well sporadically. 12yrs and 8yrs

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenson
With this one, he can sit up on his own really well now, swallow, etc., and seriously throws a fit when we eat! It is almost funny. DS1 did not start that until almost six months. This baby weighs the same at almost 18 pounds and five months as DS1 at eight months. He is longer than DS1 at eight months, too!

We are doing about 1 tbs of homemade organic apple and sweet potato puree at lunch if he wants it. He still nurses like a champ, so I am hoping he won't want to wean any earlier than 14 months! I wanted to go to two years with DS1, but my MS was awful, I was working full time and pumping three times a day. I might be going back to work full time soon, which will be easier since this LO is taking a bottle better now.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts!
That was how my oldest was. I think he was 3 months old when he had his crying fit in the restaurant and refused the breast/bottle and was only happy sucking on the fruit from the buffet. I was going crazy and was ready to snap when MIL stuck the piece of fruit in his mouth. He held on for dear life!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Four month old ready to eat solids already!

We actually avoided cereals because they are fortified with iron. The fortified iron prevents the iron in breastmilk from being well absorbed and it also is more bio-available to the "bad bacteria" that can cause intestinal upset, gas, constipation, bloating, etc.

These cereals were introduced even earlier "back in the day" (like around 6-8 wks) because so many babies were formula fed and cereals were considered "complimentary" because the formula didn't provide complete nutrition for babies. Formula today has improved a lot (still not as good as breastmilk, though ) and so cereals just aren't necessary... especially for EBF babies. Formula or breastmilk is all a baby needs up to 6 months.

We had a Pedi tell us that LO would be iron deficient if we didn't do iron fortified cereals. We had his iron level checked at 6 months and 9 months... totally normal. Actually above normal. And he was born a month premature. Ha! Breastmilk was made to do what it does well. Silly doctors... they are great at illness/disease prevention/treatment but not so much on nutrtion....