Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Jennabugs
Registered Users

buying diapers in Germany?

Hello, I am new to DS. And also a new mom to be (due Nov 21). My husband is in the US military, and we currently live in the Stuttgart area.

Thus far, I have bought my diapers off Amazon.com, but I fear some of my prefolds won't be here before baby will.

Any suggestions for where to buy locally?

thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Jennabugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: buying diapers in Germany?

Not in Germany but I know there are othere moms that are in Germany.. Disana is in Germany and they sell nice diapering items.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

Are you going to be using wool? DM (Drugstore) often has wool soakers reasonably priced.

I have a bunch of small used PUL Cotton Babies Wraps I might sell if you are interested. Also a few Popolino ones. I am considering getting rid of some small recycled wool longies (used more as pants with PUL under them).

If you speak German check http://www.naturwindeln.de/flohmarkt/uebersicht.php or post your specific ISO here or PM me and I can try to help you. Are you just looking for prefolds?

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I have never seen a cloth diapering store. Pretty much everything is online. Yu can get flats in most drogerie. Otherwise its online. :/
Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have found the best way is to buy online. UK shops usually ship to the continent. Also, many people on DS will ship internationally if you pay the extra shipping. I've done that if I have to. I have also had diapers shipped to my mom in the states. Then she fills a big FRE or package or brings them with her when she visits. Just some ideas!
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

They are sold on the economy as well if you speak German. I bought diapers in the US and sent them here and I paid hundreds in shipping. You do not want to pay by weight to ship prefolds. Not for items you can get here.

If I had known then that I could buy here and even that I could have bought used over here I would have been much more selective about the items I did buy from the US.

If you want to go new prefolds, fuzzibunz grovia and cotton babies as well as many european brands such as popolini, disana ect are all sold here on teh german economy from german websites without international shipping.

At the end of the day you have to reserach the savings you would get buying stateside or international. If you want to go used the savings may be worth it, but if buying new you are far better off to buy here.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Jennabugs
Registered Users

Red face Re: buying diapers in Germany?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I do not speak much German, sadly, we have only been here a few months. I need to work on that

I guess we are lucky - we have an APO mail box here so I can order from the states and we don't pay extra. Looks like I should stick to that!

I have not thought about wool, maybe eventually, but want to make it easy for now.

thanks again!
Jennabugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Phaedramekko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It might be cheaper to order from the US because the Euro is stronger than the US dollar. Last time I was in Germany $1.35=1€.
There are 2 German sites you can try.
http://www.babysnatur.de/Wickeln/Windeln
The categories are on the left hand side. If you select höschenwindeln you will find eingrößenwindeln (one size diapers) and mehrgrößenwindeln (multiple size). You will also see All in one, all in two, and pocket option. Prefolds are listed as faltwindeln. Kontour-Windeln you will find things for the one size and multiple sized diapers. Neugeborenenwindeln you will find newborn diapers.

A site that might be easier is zwerge.de. You will want to pick the category wickeln. On the left hand side there should be the same categories or you can shop by size under größe.

Remember they weigh in kg so if you are not familiar you will want to use an Internet converter.
Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps. I recently looked into moving to Germany so I have looked at these sites before. I took German in high school so it might be easier for me to use these sites. I did just take another peak at them to help you step by step Enjoy your stay, Germany is a wonderful country. I also like Austria,my favourite town in Austria is Bregenz.*
Old 10-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny, I just traded scrapbook items to a German mama for a Bara Barn ring sling. She threw in 2 Rumparooz because she didn't end up cd-ing. I have no idea where she got them from though I could ask if you were interested.
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote