Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need a bit of help/advice with BLW

DS is 6.5mo and we're starting to do BLW. The problem is that i'm afraid of choking and DS doesn't seem to have a gag reflex?

Yesterday i gave him a piece of overcooked turkey and he easily bit off a huge chunk of it. It was pretty crumbly? I pulled it out of his mouth since he didn't gag or anything but it was huge! After i checked his mouth and he had a few slivers in there and a few min later (after moving them around in his mouth) he stwrted to cough. Fortunately he swallowed them but it's making me worry!

Was it because the turkey was overcook? I'm afraid of giving him something that is too soft/too hard or else he might choke he's had a bagel untoasted also crumbly, a bread crust that turned into mush and a banana which looked the 'safest' to me. I want to give him foods i'm eating but it all seems so chokeworthy lol!

Also my mom is getting o my back about it saying that meat is too hard to digest and we should be giving him congee (like a rice soup) because "our Ancient Chinese ancestors have been doing it for thousands of years" and how could that be wrong? also ANYONE could write a book, so how is that safe? :P i just tell her to read the book and she'll get it but she refuses.

Sorry for being so long, i guess i just need some support!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Forgot to mention he also likes to stick the long foam edge of his playmat into his mouth and doesn't gag, but it's so long i don't worry about him choking since i can pull it right out (i am right beside him when he chews and discourage him). It's wide enough to fit in his mouth and he doesn't gag he gets like an inch+ in hia mouth.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I am confused, I guess.

You gave him some turkey and he bit it and so you took it away? Did he do something that made you get scared?

What I read seems to indicate that all is fine.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He bit off a really big chunk like an inch and a half long. I thought that he was supposed to have the gag reflex closer to the front of his mouth but he didn't gag. It just freaked me out! Sorry if it was all unclear, i got all worried and stuff about it all @_@
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Lost my reply

So I'll shorten it.

I understand, it's scary stuff when they start trying solids - I had similar experiences. Thing is, they do have to learn to cough and such when they need to.

I'd just watch very carefully until you get more comfortable. Be ready if he shows signs of distress, but give him a chance.

You're doing well in what you're offering - you'll both get comfortable with it in time.