Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just don't know what more to do.....almost 4 and will not poop on the potty!

I just need to vent more than anything mama's I just don't know what to do with my daughter. She will be 4 in December and she will not poop on the potty. I just don't understand it. She will pee no problem--wakes up dry except for an occasional accident ---but will go hide and poop her pants every time. Its getting so frustrating --- we've tried everything with her--i have a basket full of wrapped up prizes that she could pick from if she would just go poop on the potty---- she likes to play the playstation and computer-- but is not allowed unless she goes on the potty---- i've repeatedly told her how big kids don't poop their pants and name all the kids her age who don't poop their pants--- she wants to go to preschool so bad but again she has to be potty trained to go--- I try to catch her in the act and put her on the potty but she has either already went some in her pants or will hold it and scream and carry on while sitting on the potty---i've had her sit on the toliet for 30 minutes at a time and she will not go --- then take her off because obviously she is not going to go with all the screaming and crying to have her crap her pants 15 minutes later.

The very few times we have managed to catch her in time and she has to go so bad that she can't hold it (she cry's and screams the whole time) we make a big deal about how happy and proud we are and let he play the games and get a prize. To have her turn around later that day or the next to just poop her pants again. I tried for the longest time to ignore it and just try to reinforce how she needs to poop on the potty and she just says OK to go and do it again. I just don't get it---- i don't know what to do? i'm almost thinking about asking the doctor for a referral to a child psychologist because there has to be some reason mentally that she will not do it. I just don't have any other explanation at this point. She knows poop goes in the potty--- she'll come to me after pooping her pants and say she needs to either go poop on the potty (already knowing she did it in her pants) or say she needs to be changed. I know some kids take longer than others-- but i just have never had this issue with any of the other 4 kiddos... almost 4 is just too old to be pooping your pants. Any ideas? thanks for reading if you have gotten this far!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Re: I just don't know what more to do.....almost 4 and will not poop on the potty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
Any ideas? thanks for reading if you have gotten this far!
Awww, mama, what a rough situation! I went through the same thing with my DD when potty-training her, but she was only 2 years old. It must be super frustrating to have an almost four year old still pooping her pants! What I did with mine that finally worked was to let her watch TV while pooping on the potty. She didn't get to watch TV any other time of day. That was the only way she could get a video, if she was actually sitting on the pot. I know it sounds gross, but it might actually help her to relax if you let her sit on the potty while playing on the playstation or computer during the times she regularly has a bowel movement...? It's not going to be forever, just to help her relax enough to poop regularly on the potty, then eventually you can make it so that she gets to use the playstation AFTER she's done pooping... in the bathroom, like normal people.

Anyway, that's what I would try. I would try having her bottomless around the house (so that she can't crap her pants), in a dress with no undies, and then sitting her on the potty in front of the playstation or computer during the times when she usually poops. Sit with her if you can, because it sounds like she needs moral support to get through this mental block!
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I just don't know what more to do.....almost 4 and will not poop on the potty!

Mama I know what you are going through, my DS is 4 and absolutely will not poop on the potty. He refuses and doesn't have a regular poop time so I can't even try to catch it. I wish I had some advice for you but I'm in the same boat.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
umajo
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if you've thought of this, but could she be scared of pooping on the toilet? I realize she pees ok, but maybe having the poop splashing down into a big hole is frightening? Do you think she'd be willing to use a small potty instead? Maybe you could let her use it in a place she feels comfortable. Just an idea.

Dd1 was 3.5 before she was fulled trained. Dd2 is just turned 3 and can use the potty fine, but she goes through phases where she could care less if she makes a mess in her pants or on the floor. I think she finds it funny. Frustrating!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I'm happy to report we have had 2 days of pooping on the potty with no drama! I'm sooooooo hoping this continues and she does't regress!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok...i think this might be it! Going on day 6, I think of no accidents or poop in her pants! I keep waiting for her to go back to her old ways........but maybe it just clicked and she is going to use the potty with no issues!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
GomezMommy
Registered Users

Mines the other way around! she has no problems pooping on the potty but she regressed again going pee, ive been so stressed she's 4 and i want to start her in headstart but im letting her lead again..
GomezMommy is offline   Reply With Quote