Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

BFing abd iron

DD is 6 months and we're probably going to try and start solids soon. Her ped said we should start with rice cereal because of the added iron. Apparently there's not enough in breastmilk?

I just feel like i'd rather give real food, KWIM? Rice cereal seems like it has no nutritional value other than the added iron. I could be wrong I guess. Anyone skip the cereal? Or have any information on iron? Couldn't I give her dark leafy greens and beans instead?

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I gave rice cereal to my first, but wish I would not have. His digestive system didn't seem to absorb it. I didn't give it to my dd and won't be giving it to my third child due any day.

I gave iron supplement, liquid form to first but not to second & won't to third. My non medical understanding is that baby absorbs iron in breastmilk the best. If my lo was low on iron I would take a liquid natural supplement, florix, before giving supplement to lo. If your baby can handle beans & greens for sure go that route.

But I am not a medical expert at all. Good luck!
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Breastfed babies do not need to be supplemented w iron! Once they are eating iron rich foods can be hiven if you're concerned. She absorbs more iron from bm than she would from cereal (which has no nutritional value), so if you give cereal, she basically gets less irin than if you just nursed. And I don't remember the exact wording but something about the cereal intetferring with the iron she gets from bm.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: BFing abd iron

Yep. Iron is not necessary unless a blood test is done and baby is *shown* to be iron deficient. (To be honest, I don't know why more doctors don't do the test first and the prescribe... It seems lazy to me. Well, lazy and harmful...) Supplements and foods fortified with iron are hard on LO's intestinal lining. They also reduce the absorption of the iron in breastmilk and they encourage the growth of bad bacteria that can cause discomfort and digestive upset for LO. This can also effect LO's immune system.

Our Pedi suggested iron supplements and I requested the blood test (since I knew about it, being a nurse) and guess what? LO's iron was totally normal. *Gasp* We checked it again at 9 months and shocker: it was NORMAL. Call me crazy but I'm thinking nature (God) knows what its (He's) doing on this one...

Here is a link for more information: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

The website, Kellymom.com, is a collection of articles, research, facts and personal experience written and collected by an RN who is also an IBCLC. It is a GREAT source for breastfeeding moms! We direct all our new mom's to this website at the hospital I used to work at.

I'd really research this one out because it may not be necessary and you might just avoid some unpleasant things for LO by avoiding the supplements. GL Mama! Happy reading!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

Thank you for the responses and the link. Her needing iron when she is ebf just didn't sound right to me, and the information on kellymom confirms that. God definitely knew what he was doing when it comes to breastmilk!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

Wic tried to get me to give my 1DD iron because she was ebf and didn't eat solids due to her severe acid reflux but I didn't I told them I wasn't going to unless they checked her iron level and it was low but at 1 year old when they did check it she has a higher iron count than my DS who at 6 months the pediatrician checked his level and it was low he takes a vitamin with iron daily so unless they check your little ones iron and it is to low I would not worry about giving him any iron drops or cereal
Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: BFing abd iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika375 View Post
Thank you for the responses and the link. Her needing iron when she is ebf just didn't sound right to me, and the information on kellymom confirms that. God definitely knew what he was doing when it comes to breastmilk!
Amen Sista!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Iron is one thing I dont have to worry about. I am anemic and take 500mg of iron a day. Baby gets plenty. That said we don't do rice either. We do give oatmeal though!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum