Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS doesn't want to eat...

My 10 week old son has always been a great eater. All of a sudden a few days ago, he seems sort of uninterested in eating. He'll latch for a few minutes (maybe 5 at most), then smile, laugh and play around a little. When I try to give him more he cries. He seems content and not like he's starving or anything. I just can't imagine he's getting enough from just a few minutes. He is one to let me know when he is hungry. Is he just starting to space his feedings out more, becoming more efficient, or should I be concerned? He is a big boy so I'm not worried about his current weight, but I have no idea if he has gained since this new pattern started. Should I start pumping to keep my supply up or just let his new pattern dictate my milk supply?

Advertisement

lagoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's amazing how efficient they can become. We always worry if they are getting enough since there's no tank indicator on us or them! And when our supply regulates and we no longer feel engorged we really start to worry! I say as long as he seems happy, satisfied, has plenty of wet and messy diapers then you don't need to worry at all. Trust your body! It took me my third kid to trust my body! My other 2 got bottles because I was convinced they weren't getting enough. I was wrong but oh well.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I agree with pp. My DD NEVER nurses longer than 10 minutes, usually more like 5.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like he's just gotten more efficient! Or just finished a growth spurt. If he seems happy like you say, I wouldn't worry about it. My daughter was an extremely efficient nurser...only nursed 5 minutes on each side almost from the beginning.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DS doesn't want to eat...

I forgot to mention he is spacing his feedings out more than usual too. Is that normal? Should I pump or just let my supply adjust? I don't want to dry up if this is just a phase.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If its a phase, he'll nurse you like crazy to get your supply back up. Unless you have a history of supply issues, I'd leave it be and let baby do what he needs.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, that makes me feel better. I will just let him tell my body what to do I guess. I'm hoping he's just starting to space his feedings and is just getting really efficient when he does eat. But if it's a phase that's alright too.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS2 is super efficient and will nurse in 10 minutes or less and be super content and I know he also started spacing his feedings. I agree trust your body and as long as baby is happy don't worry about it.