Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Delaying solids and SLEEP

Just curious... If you delayed solids (past 6m), what was you LOs sleep like? We aren't delaying but with BLW we know she's not getting much....

DS is almost 2 and does not sttn so I know it's not all about food, but still...

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Delaying solids and SLEEP

We delayed solids with all our kids, and to be honest, they ALL had/have different sleeping patterns. By STTN, I mean 5 hrs straight.

DD#1: 1st solids at 10 mos. Didnt' start STTN till nearly 2 yrs old.
DS: 1st solids at about 10 mos as well. STTN at 3 wks old. Sleep pattern changed at about 1 yr.
DD#2: 1st solids about 9 mos old. Started STTN at about 2 yrs.

I am a FIRM believer in "inherited" sleeping patterns. I am a HORRIBLE sleeper, so, my girls get that from me. Our DS is an AWESOME sleeper... just like DH.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
kellyjo32
Registered Users
seller

The only negative I've heard about delaying solids is that they may not take to them as well, as far as sleep goes though, it's different for every baby, regardless of what they eat! The old school theory is put rice cereal in their bottle as soon as their born and STTN right away. Rice cereal made my son's stomach so upset it kept him up all night - and that was at 4 1/2 months!
kellyjo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

My LO is 10.5 mo and I've noticed that, while he doesn't eat much by way of solids, when he does eat some he gets so gassy and it wakes him up all hours of the night and he doesn't want to nurse, he just needs to wiggle, roll around and toot! Its kinda cute, kinda sad and kinda frustrating every hour all through the night.... I've really backed off solids and LO is sleeping better. Go figure! He normally sleeps a 5 hour stretch from about 11p to 4a and nurses 2 times at night. Goes to bed at around 7p and gets up around 7a.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I firmly believe STTN is a developmental thing and that there's really very little you can do to make it happen.

the research proves that 'ff babies STTN before bf babies' and such are just old wives tales with anecdotal evidence that stemmed from certain babies. I don't think it has to do with their stomach contents.

although, there is always the person who needs a midnight snack at the age of 30, so I think it's just a personality thing.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I firmly believe STTN is a developmental thing and that there's really very little you can do to make it happen.

the research proves that 'ff babies STTN before bf babies' and such are just old wives tales with anecdotal evidence that stemmed from certain babies. I don't think it has to do with their stomach contents.

although, there is always the person who needs a midnight snack at the age of 30, so I think it's just a personality thing.
Thanks I believe this too. I'm always hoping there's a magic way to get them to sleep... but alas, no!!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote