Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Is there such a thing as dayweaning?

My 14 month old nurses 2-3 times at night, when she's been asleep and wakes to nurse. However, during the day, she will not nurse. I try to offer, sit with her, lay with her, whatever. She screams, hits me, and acts like I'm trying to feed her poison. So, effectively, she is weaned during the day. My older daughter did this too at about the same age, minus the screaming and hitting, I just stopped offering and she stopped asking. She didn't stop nursing at night until 26 months though. Do some kids do this? I feel like she should still be nursing during the day, but she will have none of it!

Advertisement

kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is there such a thing as dayweaning?

I haven't BTDT (yet) but I found this on kellymom.com - maybe it'll help put your mind at ease...

What if baby is eating solid foods?

Sometime between six months and a year (as solids are introduced and slowly increased) baby's milk intake may begin to decrease, but breastmilk should provide the majority of baby's nutrition through the first year. Because of the great variability in the amount of solids that babies take during the second six months, the amount of milk will vary, too. One study found average breastmilk intake to be 30 oz per day (875 ml/day; 93% of total intake) at 7 months and 19 oz (550 ml/day; 50% of total energy intake) at 11-16 months.

Several studies have measured breastmilk intake for babies between 12 and 24 months and found typical amounts to be 14-19 oz per day (400-550 mL per day). Studies looking at breastmilk intake between 24 and 36 months have found typical amounts to be 10-12 oz per day (300-360 mL per day).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

If she is eating well and nursing enough to get what she needs in just a few feedings (whether its during the day or night) then it should be fine if she wants to *day wean* but you might find that this is a phase and could change. I don't know how long you are planning to nurse but sometimes they are just super distracted and might increase their feeding frequency later on... or not. (Like your older DD)

Here is a link:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_intro.html
Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

That does help a bit. I guess as long as she's getting the milk it doesn't matter when. Though it would be nice if it weren't the middle of the night! Hard to estimate how much she gets per time, as it always is, but I guess if she's doing fine I won't worry!
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is there such a thing as dayweaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangasox View Post
That does help a bit. I guess as long as she's getting the milk it doesn't matter when. Though it would be nice if it weren't the middle of the night! Hard to estimate how much she gets per time, as it always is, but I guess if she's doing fine I won't worry!
I'm sure she is getting what she needs (they usually do when they're in charge) but I can totally understand wanting it to be more in the day than at night... sleep is so nice. If you really want to know what she's getting, you could do before/after weights with a hospital grade scale at home for one day. That would give you an idea. I know she mainly eats at night so you could just weigh her before you feed her and then in the morning weigh her after she wakes up but before you change her diaper and that would give you a pretty good idea of what she is taking during her night feedings.

She is a little young to explain to her that nursing is for day time, or I'd suggest that.... It sounds like she is pretty determined to do it *her way* so you probably can't talk her out of it at this point. So... time. Time will tell and time will change things, right?