Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #21
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb

If I can jump in b/c I have this book and am having a hard time getting my LO to nap too. He's 6.5 months and goes to bed around 6:30-7. He is sometimes asleep when I put him down, but if he is he often wakes 30-45 min later needing to nurse again. Sometimes he will wake when I put him down so I let him cry. Honestly he gets pretty worked up but will usually settle down and go to sleep in less than 15-20 min.
This is very similar to my son's bedtime. I nurse him to sleep, put him in his crib, and he actually stays asleep. Then he wakes up 30 minutes later crying. I repeat and the second time he's down until 1 am or so. Then up again at 4. Luckily he usually nurses and then goes right back down, so nights are relatively easy and cry free.

Advertisement

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #22
Maddie'sMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a***nel
seller
seller

Re: DS not napping

I don't know if I'm going to get flamed for this, but this is what I do with my daughter. I rock her, sing to her, walk around with her, etc until her eyes are squinty and she's really tired and then I lay her down. I don't wait until she's a sleep. If I do, the transition startles her and wakes her up. She used to sometimes cry when I put her down and then I would pick her back up and cuddle her again until she was in that same sleepy state again. Sometimes this took 10 minutes but sometimes it was less than 30 seconds. As soon as she was calm and sleepy, I'd put her down again. She'd object and I'd pick her up. Some days we'd play this game 20 times in a row, but I continued to help her relax and eventually she got the hang of it.

Last edited by Maddie'sMama; 10-18-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Maddie'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

The book has examples of exactly what you two are going thru. Read thru carefully, and follow what it says! It will work if you follow what it says! And timing is everything!

You will see you should not let your child cry for more than 45min-1 hour. At that point the nap is OVER. Move on to the next nap. For my oldest. I think his morning nap didn't happen for about 3 or 4 days, then he was back sleeping 2 2hour naps a day solid! He was around 11 months when we did it with him. We didn't have to do this with our twins, because we started with his method from the get go.

And I cannot stress enough about the TIMING of naps. Pay CLOSE attention to what the book says about that!

You really need to READ the book for it to work. Skimming it and just getting a jist won't give you all the information you need to implement the plan correctly, and it will probably fail.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #24
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maddie'sMama, isn't it funny how we sometimes get flamed for sharing what works for our family???!!! That's one thing that is really hard about online mothering forums. I can't tell you how many times I've felt like I've done horribly by my children because of what a complete stranger who doesn't know MY family says about my parenting. New mothers need support, not ridicule.

Ask a question, get 100 different opinions, right? The way you put your daughter to sleep is the book "No cry sleep solution." I tried that book before the one I recommended. I am just not patient enough of a mother to use that method. It made me crazy. BUT it sounds like it worked really well for you...and that is fabulous! Cheers!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #25
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Well, DH just took "Healthy Sleep Habits" from me and put it in the recycling bin. He said it was causing me to stress too much about what I was doing "wrong".

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #26
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump View Post
Well, DH just took "Healthy Sleep Habits" from me and put it in the recycling bin. He said it was causing me to stress too much about what I was doing "wrong".

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!
That is EXACTLY what DH did when I would start reading another "baby book"! (I think I've read just about every one...) I started hearing things from my friends and they'd say I needed to read such'n'such book so I do and I get about a quarter of the way into it and I'm so flustered and upset that I can't sleep! I'd stay up researching this method or that theory and finally DH was like "NO MORE BOOKS! You are a great Mommy! What you're doing is great - just keep doing what you would naturally do!"

I still slip back into a book here and there and it *still* gets me upset and then I vow not to read anymore! lol

When I follow my instincts and just do what feels right, it all works out and I feel less stressed and more happy with life in general. When I start reading about how its *supposed* to be done I get all freaked out. Like my husband says "Step away from the book... slowly... there ya go.... that's right.... " lol

I just don't think my baby is in a book....

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-28-2011 at 06:01 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is REALLY too bad. That book goes all the way to school aged children, and addresses all sorts of sleep issues (bumps in the road) you might face all the way. I really think the book sends the message, "You do the best that you can." So sorry it was stressing you out. But knowing just how sleep and sleep cycles work, can really help. Maybe HE SHOULD READ IT, and share with you what he is reading?