Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vitamins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
At around 9 months, I started giving them drops of Fermented Cod Liver oil (Green Pastures brand). I consider Fermented cod liver oil a food and not a supplement since it's naturally derived, not synthetic.
Its still a supplement and enters through the digestive tract, though. (Not saying its necessarily bad or not a good idea - just pointing out a fact) With supplemental vitamin D the body can't regulate or prevent absorption if baby doesn't need it.

Per "Infant feeding: the physiological basis" [WHO, 1991] by James Akre,

"...it is now understood that the optimal route for vitamin D ingestion in humans is not the gastrointestinal tract, which may permit toxic amounts to be absorbed. Rather, the skin is the human organ designed, in the presence of sunlight, both to manufacture vitamin D in potentially vast quantities and to prevent the absorption of more than the body can safely use and store."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I didn't do it as a "baby", my "baby" is 2yo. I attended a LLL breastfeeding conference in July for CERP credits and that's what their research showed. They had figures and well laid out info. Also, it's pretty hard to od on VitD.
You gotta do what you feel is best. I was just pointing out some considerations that are often not discussed or even mentioned by clinicians. I am all about individual care and doing what is specifically best for each baby which is totally what you're doing. I've read a bunch of your posts and I really respect your parenting choices - you seem like an awesome Mama who is very thoughtful and concerned with doing what is best for your little guy. Not trying to be critical of you - promise! I'm only critical of the blanket recommendations.

Advertisement

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Connor
Registered Users
seller

No problem Mama! Just trying to explain some of my reasoning. The main teachers at the LLL Conference were IBCLCs and LLL Leaders. I'm in the process of becoming a Leader myself, and will be the first to say I don't know it all. And you are certainly right, a Mama must do what she feels is best. My son has issues with decay and from the research I've done the body can't absorb calcium properly without adequate Vit D. Since that may have contributed to his problem I started putting D3 drops in our smoothies when he was around 18 months. I've also read that it's good for keeping the immune system up.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
No problem Mama! Just trying to explain some of my reasoning. The main teachers at the LLL Conference were IBCLCs and LLL Leaders. I'm in the process of becoming a Leader myself, and will be the first to say I don't know it all. And you are certainly right, a Mama must do what she feels is best. My son has issues with decay and from the research I've done the body can't absorb calcium properly without adequate Vit D. Since that may have contributed to his problem I started putting D3 drops in our smoothies when he was around 18 months. I've also read that it's good for keeping the immune system up.
You are absolutely right on all accounts! I really respect and trust LLL and IBCLCs and I would probably have done the exact same thing as you, in that situation because it sounds like it is totally the right move. I'd tell any of my friends who are breastfeeding to go to you with questions - you know a ton and have lots of successful experience! My LO is not quite a year but I hope we make it as far as you have with breastfeeding. You're a great example.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

I DS! Well done, mamas.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Claire started getting fermented cod liver oil at 12 months for Vitamin D, A, and probiotics. That's the only "supplement" that she gets.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=colin-mylilguy;14032422]Its still a supplement and enters through the digestive tract, though. (Not saying its necessarily bad or not a good idea - just pointing out a fact) With supplemental vitamin D the body can't regulate or prevent absorption if baby doesn't need it.

Per "Infant feeding: the physiological basis" [WHO, 1991] by James Akre,

"...it is now understood that the optimal route for vitamin D ingestion in humans is not the gastrointestinal tract, which may permit toxic amounts to be absorbed. Rather, the skin is the human organ designed, in the presence of sunlight, both to manufacture vitamin D in potentially vast quantities and to prevent the absorption of more than the body can safely use and store."

I totally agree with this, but fermented cod liver oil has been used for centuries as an effective vitamin D supplement in cultures where sunlight exposure was limited, especially northern climates. Vitamin D can also be found in lard from pastured pigs, grass-fed butter and milk, and organ meats. We make it a point to consume all of these products since we probably don't get quite enough through sun exposure.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy

You are absolutely right on all accounts! I really respect and trust LLL and IBCLCs and I would probably have done the exact same thing as you, in that situation because it sounds like it is totally the right move. I'd tell any of my friends who are breastfeeding to go to you with questions - you know a ton and have lots of successful experience! My LO is not quite a year but I hope we make it as far as you have with breastfeeding. You're a great example.
You're such a sweet, kind hearted mama!! I'm sure you and your nursling will have a long and happy bf journey
Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #18
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
You're such a sweet, kind hearted mama!! I'm sure you and your nursling will have a long and happy bf journey
I sure hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I totally agree with this, but fermented cod liver oil has been used for centuries as an effective vitamin D supplement in cultures where sunlight exposure was limited, especially northern climates. Vitamin D can also be found in lard from pastured pigs, grass-fed butter and milk, and organ meats. We make it a point to consume all of these products since we probably don't get quite enough through sun exposure.
Good point! Supplemental vitamin D isn't "bad". Just all things in moderation.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 10-30-2011 at 07:25 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote