Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Toddler's Diarrhea? WARNING: TMI

Do you know anything about toddler's diarrhea? DS is 2 and has always had soft stools. Lately, it seems like they've gotten softer and he's having more watery diarrhea than ever before. Is toddler's diarrhea actually watery?

I've only been really paying attention for 3-4 weeks, but in my mind I'm thinking he's been having some stomach issues on and off for several weeks now. He goes to preschool two mornings each week, and twice in 2 weeks his teachers have come to me concerned about his "almost diarrhea" diaper. DS has no fever and doesn't seem to be in pain (although he will sometimes say his tummy hurts RIGHT before he poops, and there have been a couple of nights recently where he had a hard time sleeping, and shortly after waking he'd have a massive poo). He usuallly has a bowel movement once or twice a day but up to 4 times is not uncommon. The watery diarrhea comes and goes - we don't see it all the time, just more often than before, however he has had it on 3 occasions since last Friday. I do know that there is some connection between veggie hot dogs and/or marshmallows, because on the two occasions that he has had those foods recently (once while camping, once at a campfire cookout day at his preschool), he ended up with multiple rounds of diarrhea that lasted 12-24 hours. I called his pediatrician last week, and the nurse basically said it sounds like everything is normal. Would you be concerned?

It may or may not be important to note that we are vegetarians. DS can eat his weight in fruit, and I know that has some bearing on the consistency of his stools. Also, I don't know if there is a connection, but DS was doing really well learning to use the potty until about 3-4 weeks ago when everything just stopped. He practically refuses to use the pottynow and is not interested at all in undies or even being naked! He never did poop on the potty and always asked for diapers or he'd hold it, but he was consistently peeing in the potty even when we were out in public. I can't help but wonder if this poopy issue has made him want to give up the potty...

WOW - this turned into a much longer post than I had anticipated. Thanks for any information or advice!

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Toddler's Diarrhea? WARNING: TMI

My 5 year old had loose stools from the time he started solid foods. I didn't realize it was odd until I had more kids. I got worried about it when he quit gaining weight and then started losing weight when he was 4.

Earlier this year we saw a ped GI who ran tests for anything and everything. When everything came back negative, she said, "most kids I see with chronic diarrhea just eat too much fruit." (I put that in there just because you said he can eat his weight in fruit! )

Anyway, I knew that my son didn't get "too much" fruit, but after going fruit-free and a lot of googling, it turns out my son suffers from fructose malabsorption. He took the "test" down at the hospital and failed it immediately!

Any fructose (which is in all fruits) gives him stomach aches and diarrhea. We've completely eliminated HFCS, which he's most sensitive to, and then we limit high-fructose fruits, like apples, mangos and pears. Bananas, for example, don't contain as much fructose.

He's a new kid and he quickly put on about 5 pounds!

Anyway, that was probably more info than you needed, but just thought I'd throw that all out there.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is really interesting! Thanks so much for responding and for the info. I'll definitely look into this a little further. DS really does eat as much fruit as I will let him have most days, so maybe that's all it is. I'll start watching how he responds to various types of fruit and see what happens. Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

What you said is interesting as I'm keeping my son vegetarian for now (in less he chooses otherwise) and but we have them more loose, especially lately. I chalk it up to either teething as he's getting his molars in and it sucks or that we still have him on formula and when he doesn't want to eat, he drink a lot of formula (I don't care as long as something goes in him) and when he's on a more liquid diet we seem to have it more (his preschool mentioned it to me too concerned). Are you still breast or formula feeding? (that would be my first guess but now you have me curious if there is a connection to the vegetarianism).
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
What you said is interesting as I'm keeping my son vegetarian for now (in less he chooses otherwise) and but we have them more loose, especially lately.

(that would be my first guess but now you have me curious if there is a connection to the vegetarianism).
I dont know much about WHY he maybe having watery stools. BUT doubt if its a link to vegetarianism, looks like eating so many fruits is causing it-vegetarians arent the only ones who eat fruits! We are vegetarians, kids do eat a lot of fruits BUT we also amp up on lentils and such high protien foods. So we've not had loose stools unless kid is unwell.

And here's a darn easy way to stop the loose stools.

Give your kid arrowroot porridge.

Mix 1tbsp arrowroot powder in 1/2 cup water.(ensure no clumps by stirring) Put it to boil and boil till it turns starchy - if you raise the spoon, it shouldnt drip. Takes about 3mins. Add salt to taste. Cool and feed. Do it 3times/day.

Works very well.

Infact it worked too well on my ds2 and he was constipated for over a day! He'd diarrhoea and an old lady-a neighbour suggested this. My mistake was giving him a lot of afternoon porridge. Eased the constipation with dates and raisins!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Interesting... I'll try the arrowroot porridge. DS does eat a lot of fruit, but we keep various beans and legumes, including lentils, around to feed him regularly if not daily. I stopped breastfeeding DS in June, just after his 2nd birthday, so it's definitely not a liquid diet issue. I'm going to try to watch his fruit intake and see if there is a connection to that. Don't bananas kind of slow things down a little? DS goes through phases where he wants to eat bananas all day long. I usually limit it to 2 a day, but sometimes he gets a 3rd if DH doesn't think to ask...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana View Post
I dont know much about WHY he maybe having watery stools. BUT doubt if its a link to vegetarianism, looks like eating so many fruits is causing it-vegetarians arent the only ones who eat fruits! We are vegetarians, kids do eat a lot of fruits BUT we also amp up on lentils and such high protien foods. So we've not had loose stools unless kid is unwell.

And here's a darn easy way to stop the loose stools.

Give your kid arrowroot porridge.

Mix 1tbsp arrowroot powder in 1/2 cup water.(ensure no clumps by stirring) Put it to boil and boil till it turns starchy - if you raise the spoon, it shouldnt drip. Takes about 3mins. Add salt to taste. Cool and feed. Do it 3times/day.

Works very well.

Infact it worked too well on my ds2 and he was constipated for over a day! He'd diarrhoea and an old lady-a neighbour suggested this. My mistake was giving him a lot of afternoon porridge. Eased the constipation with dates and raisins!
We are in the picky toddler stage so some days he gets lots of fruit, more strawberry's and grapes and other days nothing if he refuses it. Some days all he will eat is pickles and olives. He will not eat bananas and we don't do apples or pears due to allergies. We try to put all kinds of beans in stuff and give them to him to eat but its hit or miss. I also try to put tofu in grilled cheese and eggs and other stuff (along with the lentils). He will not eat anything off a spoon right now. I have to laugh as I'm so picky I got what I deserved in him. (and some of it is probably because I don't eat a huge variety too).

I think for us its the toddler formula.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had toddler's diarrhea here. My son basically got put on the atkins diet and it cleared right up. He got one serving of fresh fruit a day, limited milk, limited carbs. After a couple of months we gradually started to ease sugars back in. We had gone awhile trying to figure out what the culprit was and it was fairly quick that we saw results, maybe a week or two (this is 5 years ago so stretching my memory) but we could also tell when we over did it because the diarrhea would come back. After at least 6 months he could pretty much eat anything again.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
trulyprecious
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I breastfed DS until his second birthday and once he was swtiched to Horizon Milk he had loose stools 5-6 times a day for the next five months. His doctor finally suggested that DS might have a milk intolerance and I then switched him to unsweetened almond milk. The loose stool stopped and I only reintroduced cow's milk a year later (about 6 oz a day) and he is doing fine.

I hope you figure out what is causing it. My DS never ate fruit in abundance but would often ask for milk back when the problem started. I was at my wits end with 5-6 loose stools in cloth from a 2 year old (and I was pregnant at the time and always fighting the urge to vomit during changes).

DS also takes multi-vitamins and I cut the daily dose back from two to one a day.

Last edited by trulyprecious; 10-31-2011 at 04:47 PM.
trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote