Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

another sleep question-input appreciated

So my DD is 6 months old. She has never been a GREAT sleeper. She STTN maybe once when she was about 2 months old. I'm not really concerned about that, though. I know she's far from STTN, and that's ok.

Lately, though, her sleep has gotten so much worse. I usually get her to bed between 7:30 and 8. She'll go down pretty easily. But then, about 30 minutes later, she'll wake up screaming. I'll comfort her, she'll fall back asleep, but then the same thing another 30, sometimes 15, minutes later. Some nights this goes on until I come to bed around 10:30.

So part one of my question: any idea what's going on? Is there any way I can get her to sleep from 8-10ish without waking up so much in between?

Part two of my question is about the middle of the night wakings. Usually she wakes about 3 times at night to nurse. We cosleep, so it's pretty painless. We're both awake for a few minutes, she doesn't cry, and we drift back to sleep. These past few nights have been different though. She's been waking up multiple times SCREAMING. It's hard to console her. I usually end up having to stand up and rock her back to sleep a couple times during the night. I don't mind the normal wakings, but the screaming ones are tough on all of us, including DD. Any advice or idea what's going on?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Is she teething? If she's been congested, could also be an ear infection. Or gas, we love Mylicon for that. Or she could be hurting from a growth spurt. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
loving my family
Registered Users

Re: another sleep question-input appreciated

Teeth??
My son had sleep issues start for him at around 6 mos it took a while to find out what was going on but we had a bit of a puzzle then all the pieces fit with the 1 issue.

At 6 mos old some kids can become Iron deficient as they burn up fat stores & are not always able to get what they need from breast milk or formula even the iron formula,

(I should say he is big really big) so he started becoming Iron deficient & much like the structure of a steel building going up it takes lots of Iron.

Some other issues from iron are besides the obvious (bruising easy) is smelly diapers like something died & mine are all breast feed so that was weird for us.
Also diarrhea is common too but I don't know if this is just TMI sorry if it is.
Those are the things that pop into my head other than gas pain's. Good luck
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

Re: another sleep question-input appreciated

this might be a silly question, but how do I know if she's teething? Will her gums look or feel a certain way? Definitely a first time mama question...

Also, if it is an ear infection, how would I know that? I assumed she would have a fever or something, but maybe not. She did just get over a little cold.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika375
this might be a silly question, but how do I know if she's teething? Will her gums look or feel a certain way? Definitely a first time mama question...

Also, if it is an ear infection, how would I know that? I assumed she would have a fever or something, but maybe not. She did just get over a little cold.
My dd's gums got puffy, swollen and sensitive. Plus she is very very irritable (she's teething right now), biting on everything and drooling alot. She also tugs on her ears quite a bit when she's just cutting a tooth. You will most likely know when she is teething.

I'm not sure on the fever and ear infection thing, my dd just got an ear infection from teething and the way I knew was a fever (102 at its highest) and she didn't want anyone or anything near her ear. She was pulling at it and crying because it hurt. (but babies can still pull at their ears while teething without it being an infection).

Sorry I can't help on the sleeping front. I have to worlds worst sleeper, she takes 3+ hours and multiple attempts at night to fall asleep and stay asleep, and naps *maybe* 90 mins a day on a good day. Today she woke up at 9 (went to sleep at 1am last night) and had 2 thirty minute naps. Tonight she fell asleep at 11:45. I start bed time with her every night at 8, and have since she was a newborn. We do the same thing. She just hates sleep. I've decided to give up and just go with the flow. It's much easier for everyone and I know it will pass quickly.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

When my LO is teething, the gums in that area become soft. She drools tons, chews on EVERYTHING! Gets fussy, especially for feeding ....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote