Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
kspicer119
Registered Users

Low lying placenta?

So I had an ultrasound a couple weeks ago to check cervical length (which was nice and long) but they found my placenta was low lying, like half a centimeter from the cervix. My doctor said that it could move by my 20 week ultrasound, so not to worry about it yet. My question to you ladies is, have any of you had this happen, and if so, did it actually move up, or did it stay too low? Also, what I have been reading is that if it doesn't move I will have to have a cesarian, have you heard of anyone that still had a vaginal delivera with a low lying placenta? Thanks

Advertisement

kspicer119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low lying placenta?

My mw want to see the placenta 2cm away- from what I've read- low lying placentas diagnosed before 20 weeks will usually move plenty far enough away by the time delivery nears- I think most placentas actually start out low- just because the uterus is so small in the beginning. The placenta does not actually move- the uterus stretches- and the placenta is actually higher up than what it appeared when the uterus was smaller.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

ddc, but I had a marginal previa (I think that's what its called), which changed to low lying. It moved by my 34th week and I had a vaginal delivery. Also, they did an ultrasound once a month from 20 weeks to 34 weeks to check it. (This was at a hospital where they did the anatomy scans for my ob's office, not my actual ob). When I told my ob how often they did a u/s he said that it really wasn't necessary to do one until 34 weeks because it will usually have moved by then, but often it doesn't move much earlier than that. I ended up having to pay a ton for so many ultrasounds. So if they want to do a lot for you, I would ask the doctor if it's really necessary. Good luck!
CutiePatootiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
magoose
Registered Users

With my first pregnancy, I had a low lying placenta. We saw it on my first u/s at 12 weeks. My OB said we would check it again by 30-something weeks to see if it would change. He also said the majority of these cases "fix" themselves by the time delivery comes around. By the time I had my second u/s at 20 weeks, it had already moved. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As the previous poster mentioned, as your uterus grows, the placents moves off your cervix.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my 20-week u/s at 19w6d and have marginal previa as well. I'm going to go back at 26-28 weeks to see if it's moved some.

From talking just for a second w/ my MW, I CAN still deliver vaginally w/ a marginal previa, but it's more dangerous b/c as the cervix dilates, the placenta could potentially start to become detatched and compromise baby's oxygen, etc.

But like others have said, a low placenta early on usually does move in most cases as the uterus grows.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

DDC..Mine was a partial previa from early on, I bled.. A LOT. At my last u/s (20wks) it had already moved up and off my cervix.. They didn't say or not if it's still considered 'low lying' that time. (They did say it was low-lying at my 18wk anatomy scan though).. but I am going to guess since it was over it earlier, it's probably still a little low.. I am not worried at all at this point that it will continue moving upwards.. I have to have c-sections anyways, but, I still don't like the idea of them cutting through it.

My daughter's was low-lying at her 20-wk scan as well, but had moved up by 28 weeks..they really do most times move up on their own.
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
kspicer119
Registered Users

Thank you for all the info, I looked it up, but it still makes me feel better hearing from other mamas who have experienced it themselves. I have had quite a lot of bleeding. But I am still not too big yet, I am still in regular clothes, so hopefully it will move up as I grow out.
kspicer119 is offline   Reply With Quote