Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta
We're Christian and we do Halloween - no witches or devils though (per DH) and last year we had a huge Halloween Costume Party. No scary stuff, because my kids are still under 8 and its not fun to have four kids in bed with you!

If you really want to bring the kids together and forge friendships, why not just change it to a 'Costume Party?' If you really have no desire to forge friendships with them because they are Christian, than why care if they come to your party or not? I'm not trying to be snarky, but either find a secular group to hang out with or respect the semantics of the ones you choose to hang out with. I doubt any of them would invite you to their 'Nativity Play' because they know you are not Christian - or I don't know, lol - maybe they WOULD and try to convert you
Actually, both groups I am in are secular! I don't have a problem being friends with Christians and honestly I am not trying to make friends for myself I want my kids to have friends.
My party was not scary at all. Yes I did have tombstones up. I had a witch lawn decoration and she had a big friendly smile on. I had cob webs put up and a couple bloody handprints. No kids were scared in the least. Oh yeah and I had ghost shaped cookies.

I don't like the hypocrisy of the whole thing I guess.

Advertisement

Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
hippiemama86
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: So hard to be a homeschooling atheist

I'm a Christian... though not at all judgmental. We didn't celebrate Halloween growing up, but we always did Fall Festivals at churches around town. I have chosen to celebrate Halloween now that I have my own family. I love dressing up and having fun! I would have TOTALLY come to your Halloween party, but I'm in FL.
It's funny that Christians are supposed to be accepting and non-judgmental, yet most of them are the opposite. It's sad, and hypocritical. It's God's job to judge, in my belief... I do not have that right. I think having fun and celebrating holidays with your kids are the best times throughout the year. I hope you guys are able to find some cool friends!!!
Proud mama to 1 ds (11-9-09) Married to my best friend ever!
hippiemama86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you . We're homeschooling, though we've only started, and we're Atheist. That by itself would be lonely, but we also live in the Utah valley where, as a previous poster said, 97% of the people are LDS. At least another 2% are Christian, and then there is us. We don't have any friends here because as soon as we talk to another family, and are getting along great they will say something like, "so what church do you go to?" "None, we aren't Christian." "Not Christian at all???"..........yeah, fun times. After that all conversation becomes awkward, and usually the people stop talking to us suddenly. I have had a few that go out of their way to be friendly, though. They are the ones who invite me to their church every other week.

If I were still in California, I would totally take DD1 to your Halloween party. At least there is T&Ting there, I don't know how much we will be able to do around here, last year our neighborhood did not participate at all. To me, that's weird.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz2491 View Post
Actually, both groups I am in are secular! I don't have a problem being friends with Christians and honestly I am not trying to make friends for myself I want my kids to have friends.
My party was not scary at all. Yes I did have tombstones up. I had a witch lawn decoration and she had a big friendly smile on. I had cob webs put up and a couple bloody handprints. No kids were scared in the least. Oh yeah and I had ghost shaped cookies.

I don't like the hypocrisy of the whole thing I guess.
Sounds like you did good then and had people who came to the party. Hopefully your kiddos were able to make some friends! I know if we were invited, we would have come too as we celebrate Halloween. There are just some people, Christian or not, that don't want anything to do with the darker side of Halloween.

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #25
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches
I feel for you . We're homeschooling, though we've only started, and we're Atheist. That by itself would be lonely, but we also live in the Utah valley where, as a previous poster said, 97% of the people are LDS. At least another 2% are Christian, and then there is us. We don't have any friends here because as soon as we talk to another family, and are getting along great they will say something like, "so what church do you go to?" "None, we aren't Christian." "Not Christian at all???"..........yeah, fun times. After that all conversation becomes awkward, and usually the people stop talking to us suddenly. I have had a few that go out of their way to be friendly, though. They are the ones who invite me to their church every other week.

If I were still in California, I would totally take DD1 to your Halloween party. At least there is T&Ting there, I don't know how much we will be able to do around here, last year our neighborhood did not participate at all. To me, that's weird.
Wow! I could not deal with that at all! I try not to mention my beliefs because I don't want the conversation to end there but it does usually come up. Also a lot of the activities for the secular group are "play time at a church with prayer after" ugh
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
shabish2002
Registered Users
seller

I'm from NY and moved to GA, which people have told me is the bible belt state. So funny because the first 2 homeschoolers I met were secular and I went on to find a great secular homeschooling group...like really secular, either atheist or agnostic. About a year later I came into contact with a woman who asked me what church I went to and I told her I don't go to church and she was shocked, I was the first person she met who didn't go to church! Now I'm coming into more contact with people who are christian. Happened very backwards for me here, hope you find a great group who shares in your beliefs.
shabish2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
*Aimee*
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches View Post

Omgosh!! We should hang out!! I won't invite you to church. Promise! We have only been here a year and it's so lonely!! I'm in Orem!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #28
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
Omgosh!! We should hang out!! I won't invite you to church. Promise! We have only been here a year and it's so lonely!! I'm in Orem!
I'm in Sandy. We were in Pleasant Grove for the first year we were here, (it will be 2 years in March), and it was worse then. I'd love to hangout sometime. Looks like our kids are fairly close in age too.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #29
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We are in Sac- East Sac. We are not atheist, but not religious. More Pagan than anything. We had a Halloween party and had tons of fun! I have had NO luck finding a group we fit in. Its been really hard. We are not Christian, unschooling or in an outlying area, so there is virtually nothing for .us

Sent from my DROIDX using DS Forum

Last edited by faiths13; 11-01-2011 at 04:05 PM.
faiths13 is offline   Reply With Quote