Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Djuna2
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does a child have to be in Kindergarten before going to 1st grade?

That is state (or even district) specific. In my state, kindergarten is not required, for example (which is why, sigh, *public school* kindergarten is costing me $2300).

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is Kinder required in your new state? When are you moving?

If moving mid-(school)year, just enroll her in Kinder when you move. You can continue to homeschool until then and even after if you want. Then, she'll move to first grade w/ the rest of her age-peers.

If you're not moving until just before next school year, then ask the new school district. Save some samples of her work to show them. In some states (like CA), Kinder is not mandatory, so she would be automatically enrolled in first grade even if you had not worked w/ her at all. If she were to start "drowning" academically or socially, her teacher would rec moving her back to Kinder. In states where kinder is mandatory, she may have to take a test, have her school file sent (which she wouldn't have), or show her work samples from home-school.

As others said, you could also find a private school that has a kinder program (w/ a cutoff requirement that she would meet) and get her in there. Then she would have a file (we call them cumulative records here in CA) to have transferred to your new school district.

Caveat abt my opinion: I am NOT a proponent of "red-shirting". I am a teacher (and so is my DH). The students I've had who have been red-shirted have had many negative repercussions (mostly socially, but some academic as well). I would do anything I could to get my child enrolled at the correct grade for his/her age in a new school district.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 11-01-2011 at 11:42 AM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly as mom of an 8yo I would just put her in kinder and see how it goes.
IME kinder is NOT what it use to be and she will be doing much more than just learning letters and numbers.
You may actually be very surprised, and if she's ahead/mature then she may actually do very well and be just fine.

She may have issues behaviorally because the classes are usually fairly large and therefore they expect/need conformity.
However they will put her on a "behavior chart" type thing and I am sure she will adapt fairly quickly.
My son never had any behavior issues until kinder and it wasnt that he was "bad", he just didnt "get" what was exepected of him because the learning environment is so different than even preschool, but w/in a month he was fine. He just liked being talkative, social, playing, being a kid.

If she is advanced most likely they will adapt her learning material and when she goes to 1st grade and she is still advanced then maybe you can look into skipping a grade.
However I wouldnt really worry about the age thing, it's not a big deal in the long run. She most likely will not be the only 6yo in kinder either. Also more parents are holding back their kinders and keeping them home to give them that edge so they dont feel overwhelmed.
My son was actually retained in kinder and he's tall for his age, and he's doing fine socially.

Our old school (we moved out of state last year) had a list of what they expected kids to learn in each grade level. Maybe your school has something like that and that will give you an idea of their expectations. It certainly opened my eyes when I read it!

Anyway, basically just give it a shot and see how it goes first. Or you can keep her home and homeschool her and you can teach her based on her level and not really worry about what "grade" she is in.

Last edited by wonton; 11-01-2011 at 12:21 PM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Coto
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If this were my child, I would just enroll her in kindergarten. I went through a similar situation when I was entering kindergarten in the late 70s. I was more than academically qualified for first grade -- doing division and reading chapter books -- and my montessori teachers recommended that I enter first. My public school district in my new state, however, said I missed the cut off by 6 days, so my mom put me in kindergarten. I've never regretted it. I think I learned important social lessons. I was also very outspoken, energetic and bossy at that age. That extra year helped me be more mature. In comparison to other kids who were a year younger than me, I always did better socially and academically I never suffered. I had a few friends who basically were a year younger than me, and they really struggled at points, particularly socially.

Also, I wouldn't really call this red-shirting because your dd will only be a week or two older than some of her classmates if you put her in kindergarten. It's an entirely different situation than holding a child back who meets the age requirements by several months. You obviously need to what you think is best for your dd, but I did want to share my personal experience.

SAHM to Ella (2/08) and Charlotte (9/11)
Coto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
Is Kinder required in your new state? When are you moving?

If moving mid-(school)year, just enroll her in Kinder when you move. You can continue to homeschool until then and even after if you want. Then, she'll move to first grade w/ the rest of her age-peers.

If you're not moving until just before next school year, then ask the new school district. Save some samples of her work to show them. In some states (like CA), Kinder is not mandatory, so she would be automatically enrolled in first grade even if you had not worked w/ her at all. If she were to start "drowning" academically or socially, her teacher would rec moving her back to Kinder. In states where kinder is mandatory, she may have to take a test, have her school file sent (which she wouldn't have), or show her work samples from home-school.

As others said, you could also find a private school that has a kinder program (w/ a cutoff requirement that she would meet) and get her in there. Then she would have a file (we call them cumulative records here in CA) to have transferred to your new school district.

Caveat abt my opinion: I am NOT a proponent of "red-shirting". I am a teacher (and so is my DH). The students I've had who have been red-shirted have had many negative repercussions (mostly socially, but some academic as well). I would do anything I could to get my child enrolled at the correct grade for his/her age in a new school district.
I would not consider this red shirting. I will NOT send a child of mine to K when they are 4 years old. Especially, when she would have had kids older than her by a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coto View Post
If this were my child, I would just enroll her in kindergarten. I went through a similar situation when I was entering kindergarten in the late 70s. I was more than academically qualified for first grade -- doing division and reading chapter books -- and my montessori teachers recommended that I enter first. My public school district in my new state, however, said I missed the cut off by 6 days, so my mom put me in kindergarten. I've never regretted it. I think I learned important social lessons. I was also very outspoken, energetic and bossy at that age. That extra year helped me be more mature. In comparison to other kids who were a year younger than me, I always did better socially and academically I never suffered. I had a few friends who basically were a year younger than me, and they really struggled at points, particularly socially.

Also, I wouldn't really call this red-shirting because your dd will only be a week or two older than some of her classmates if you put her in kindergarten. It's an entirely different situation than holding a child back who meets the age requirements by several months. You obviously need to what you think is best for your dd, but I did want to share my personal experience.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
skyericsson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DD met the cut off in our state in CT and when we decided to move to our place out west for a few years I home-schooled for kinder because the schools in NM are horrible. There is two good charters where we are and one that is the very best but the cut off was be 5 by august 31 and her bd is 9/9 also.

Well she got into the best charter school here for first grade and it is like a private school and very advanced. She actually tested into second grade but we did not move her ahead AND we out found she has dyslexia at the end of 1st grade and although she was ahead of the class is all other subjects except 'strait timed reading', she was not bored in 1st grade and the teacher now for second grade gives her extra work beyond what the class does to challenge her. We did get her private diagnostic testing for IQ, comprehension and a slue of other tests that determined she was very advanced and that proved where her weakness was in regards to dyslexia and that she has dyslexia. She has an IEP for dyslexia and works 4 days a week with her licensed Orton-Gillingham tudor for dyslexia she is never bored and the school is wonderful in giving her what she needs for her dyslexia and her advanced academic gift in class as well. (we did not put her advanced academic gift in her IEP as of now because the teachers already make those accommodations in class without issue) we can add it later if we felt a new school was not accommodating, that is why the testing was important.

So anyway what I'm saying is I think it depends on the school how advanced they are and if a child is ahead the great teachers are willing to give a little extra advanced work etc.. for that child even without having an IEP or extra plan in place. KWIM? like pp said many good schools are teaching way ahead of what they used to even a few years back. I would have her stay in Kinder and if is a good school then they may be willing to give her a bit of advanced work as she is learning in class etc...If you find in the near future she is way advanced of what her class is doing, then have her tested, diagnostically and if she comes out way ahead etc... then you can try putting in place a more specific plan for advanced gifted academics and there is always testing that if she is extraordinarily ahead then she can be moved ahead at that time or put into honor AP classes in the future. Sorry so long
cosleeping, conservative yet extra crispycrunchy wife to my loving DH and sahm of our gorgeous princess sophia9/03 and cutie pie prince sven 8/07 and our beautiful sweet rainbow preemie born at 30 weeks Sång (pronounced "song")
skyericsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #17
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to say that a "good school" isnt all about teaching "ahead" or advanced.
What makes a good school good is teaching a child so that it meets their needs and is able to adapt to different learning styles.
The school where my son was retained was in New Mexico, we lived in the Rio Rancho school district (Ive heard Albuquerque is notorious for "bad schools")and imo they have high expectations, regardless of what each child is able to do.

We are now in TX and again are faced w/way more homework than I think is appropriate for the grade level. However my son's teacher is understanding of my son's capabilities and allows me to taylor my son's hw so it's not overwhelming.
They even scaled back the difficulty of the spelling words for the entire grade because all the students were struggling.

Ive had to swallow a lot of pride when it came to my child's education, I took his struggles really personally. I often wonder if he would have struggled so much if his "good" school wasnt so "advanced", it makes you feel like something is wrong w/your child.
Ive learned that a child will show you what they are ready for and what they arent, an early/late start isnt going to change that if they arent ready for it.

Education shouldnt be a race. These are still kids and should be allowed to be so.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
pcjs
Registered Users

Have you asked if there is an option to test into K. if you miss the cut-off. Here we have up to a certain time to be able to test in (which we plan to try to do or private K which I'd prefer not to due to cost in less I'm working and then it may make more sense with child care).
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Cadence View Post
It all depends on your new state. I know legally in Ga kids dont have to even start school until age 7.
:yeahthis: im homeschooling dd(5) and she takes homeschool coop classes one day a week but im not reporting anything bc kindergarten is optional
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

I would check with your state when you move.

Where I am, they do not require you to attend kindergarten, so they will place the child with their age appropriate peers in the 1st grade in that situation.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote