Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help with TB test

I went in for a job interview today to work at a preschool 2 mornings per week. At the end of the interview, I am told that I would have to get a TB test.
What is the substance they inject under the skin? I read TB antigens- but that doesn't exactly tell me what I need to know.
I am nursing. Does anyone have access to the label- I read on one website that the label states do not do while nursing, but KellyMom site said it was safe. I can't seem to find the label online.
Is there another way to get around this? I have read get a chest XRay done- but I am nursing, not gonna get a chest XRay.

Do I have any options here???

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: Help with TB test

You can go to your dr and request a blood test. It is called quantiferon gold at quest diagnostics. You would have to pay what your ins doesn't cover but for me that was like $10 because it is usually covered under the preventive care benefits. It will be up to you to get the results to the office though. Mine took about 4days. Went Monday had it by Friday. If you use labcorp it is called something else but I think you can google it. They thought I was crazy but since I wasn't even 6 weeks pregnant I stuck to my guns and my dr ordered the test with no problem
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
seller

Oh and X-rays while nursing are completely ok. You won't be getting dye so. Itching to hang around like an injection but they are not as accurate for diagnosing potentially harmful exposure to tb. Only an active infection
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
seller

The other test is called the t spot tb test
Both are CDC approved btw
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if this is an option for you, but I was pregnant when I had to have one for work. I didn't read up on it, so I don't even know if there is an issue, but I was in the first trimester of my first pregnancy so I wouldn't even let some one sneeze near me. I went to the health department with the sheet they gave me from work. The nurse asked me questions and determined I was not a TB risk. No test, now if I had answered yes to the questions then they would have moved forward.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I did not have one during pregnancy, just a note from the dr saying to defer it until delivery. Have you looked it up on lact med to see if there are studies on safety? It's an intradermal injection, it goes under the first layer of skin, and it's one millimeter. The dr said it was fine, but I didn't want it. They re silly anyway, IMO...another story, another time.

I looked it up in lactmed, they say it's safe, but not why or how they came to that conclusion. The intradermal area isn't very vascular, and infants are exposed to substances we injest through the gi tract and the blood stream, mainly. Thus, given that fact and that two reputable sources state it's safe, I would probably take it. But that's just my opinion of coarse ( that and 50 cents might get you a coke ) if you don't take the ppd test you might can get a note from your sons pediatrician and get your insurance to cover the other tests. I really don't know though, since the consensus of data is that it is safe during nursing.

Last edited by Numommy; 11-02-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote