Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #21
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

Re: Parents Who Were Homeschooled

I was home-schooled K-12 and have no regrets. I was able to participate in orchestras & music camps, and had plenty of opportunities for socialization through those outlets as well as through church. We're home-schooling our kids, and my oldest is just in kindergarten this year. She's also involved in two dance classes a week and goes to church & Sunday school, so I feel like we're giving her the same opportunities. I hope she looks back and is happy with the decisions we've made too!

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #22
RachelP519
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband, his brother, and sisters were homeschooled all the way. They don't regret it. They all went to college (all 4 have bachelors' degrees, 3 of them have masters' degrees), they all play musical instruments (some play more than 1), you'd never guess they were "unsocialized" homeschoolers, they're close to their family, and they're productive members of society. I can't see that they missed anything important.

I went to public school and here are some things I would have "missed" if I'd been homeschooled: the cliques, people being made fun of for a myriad of reasons, the Spanish teacher flirting with the football players and joking with the cheerleaders, 20 minutes to inhale lunch, no time to go to the bathroom if you're coming from the band hall, taking precalculus AGAIN (so I could stay up on math before majoring in it) because there was no calculus teacher, our 8-months-pregnant junior class homecoming nominee.

That list is just a glimpse of what I missed. I will never send my kids to public school.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelP519 View Post
My husband, his brother, and sisters were homeschooled all the way. They don't regret it. They all went to college (all 4 have bachelors' degrees, 3 of them have masters' degrees), they all play musical instruments (some play more than 1), you'd never guess they were "unsocialized" homeschoolers, they're close to their family, and they're productive members of society. I can't see that they missed anything important.

I went to public school and here are some things I would have "missed" if I'd been homeschooled: the cliques, people being made fun of for a myriad of reasons, the Spanish teacher flirting with the football players and joking with the cheerleaders, 20 minutes to inhale lunch, no time to go to the bathroom if you're coming from the band hall, taking precalculus AGAIN (so I could stay up on math before majoring in it) because there was no calculus teacher, our 8-months-pregnant junior class homecoming nominee.

That list is just a glimpse of what I missed. I will never send my kids to public school.
this is so true!!! Although I have fond memories of high school---there are plenty of things that were worthless interrupions and influences as well.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote