Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm at my wits end, and I need help.

Okay, so DD1 is 2 (turned 2 in July). By her 2nd birthday, she was about 80% potty trained (not overnight or during nap, and maybe 1 accident per day). By August, she was having only maybe 1-2 accidents per week. She did the "training" all on her own. I haven't pushed or prompted anything at all. Then, I gave birth to DD2. I expected some regression, and didn't really think twice about it, as she is only 2. She has some days where she wants to go potty and some days where she'll refuse. I'm okay with that. I don't have a problem with he wearing a diaper on those days as it just isn't worth the fight sometimes.

However, that's not my problem. She ALWAYS poops during nap time now (she was going in the mornings before DD2 was born, and pooping on the potty). Again, she's in a diaper, so wouldn't be a big deal. I've tried taking her before, and even waking her up and going mid-nap. She just won't do it. But, she'll poop in her diaper the minute she wakes up (I stalk the video monitor to see when she's up, but because of DD2, I can't always get there in the first two minutes after she wakes) or sometimes she'll wake up mid-nap, poop, and go right back to sleep. Now, she's taken to sticking her hands in her diaper and "painting" with its contents. Every day. All over herself and her room. She thinks its funny. And no punishments or rewards have changed anything. I do my absolute best to get there ASAP when she wakes up, but I'm not fast enough most of the time.

So what do I do? How do I reverse this cycle. I'm getting really frustrated with her, and I know that's not helping anything. Suggestions?

Valerie, wife to Walt and SAHM to Nick (7/06) and Olivia (7/09) and baby Katelyn (8/11) and currently completing our family through adoption!
veveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Defiant!

Ugh - I'm sorry you didn't get any responses. Is this still going on? If so, I'd try to put her in one piece outfits (sleepers, overalls) or do whatever you can to make it difficult for her to get into her diaper.

My ds (middle child) has been having a ton of stubborn things with potty training. I finally realized that what he really wanted was attention from me. So we now put my dd (youngest) down for a nap first and he gets some one-on-one with me before nap. With potty training I found it most helpful to give him tons of attention when he went on the potty - not necessarily praising for going, but more like helping him to clean up the potty and washing our hands together, etc. When he had an accident I tried to be no-nonsense with little emotion. He had to do most of the cleaning up and I paid him little attention during it. It was hard to reprogram myself this way, but it worked.

Hope you have found some relief.
ChristyHC is offline   Reply With Quote